Education, science or research Use Licence
The use of radiation sources to carry out a radiation practice is regulated under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 to minimise the risks associated with radiation. This includes radiation sources used for educational, scientific or research purposes.
Educational, scientific, or research related radiation sources include:
- laser and ionising radiation equipment
- x-ray equipment
- sealed radioactive substances
- unsealed radioactive substances.
Know which form you need?
This page contains the following education, science or research radiation Use Licence application form:
If you are unsure which form you need to complete, including the required supporting documentation, please read on.
Who needs this licence?
You will need this licence if you seek to use a radiation source for education, science or research purposes.
People using radiation sources in the education, science and research industries include:
- educators and students
Responsibilities of a Use Licensee
As part of your responsibilities as a Use Licensee you will need to:
- only use a radiation source for the practice described in your Use Licence
- only use a radiation source if the Possession Licensee has specified that you may
- comply with the Possession Licensee’s approved Radiation Safety and Protection Plan for the radiation practice and your individual responsibilities detailed in it.
You are required to comply with Radiation Safety Act 1999.
Apply for an education, science or research radiation Use Licence
You can apply for a standard Use Licence or a licence to use security enhanced sources for industrial radiography:
- Licence to use a radiation source for education, science or research
- Licence to use a security enhanced source
Your application needs to include:
- 2 proof of identity documents
- a certified copy of your qualifications and safety training certificate
- evidence of your professional registration
- evidence of your competency and experience using the radiation source.
Required training and competency
You will need to demonstrate that you have undergone both theoretical and practical training using the radiation source safely and effectively.
A Use Licence can be for 1, 2 or 3 years.
Renewal applications can be made 60 days before your licence expires. You will be sent a reminder and renewal application form before your licence expires.
You will need to pay a licence fee. If you do not hold a current licence you will also need to pay an application fee.
See schedule of fees to determine the fee you will need to pay.
If you are applying for a licence to use a security enhanced source you will need to pay an additional fee for the required security and criminal history check.
Licence to use a radiation source for education, science or research
Use this form if you seek to use a radiation source for education, science or research purposes.
Licence to use a security enhanced source
Use this form if you seek to use a security enhanced source for education, science or research purposes.
These radiation sources pose a significant risk and have additional security requirements that need to be met before your application can be assessed. You need this security clearance before your licence can be granted.
Licence application process for security enhanced sources:
- submit your application
- a security and criminal history check is conducted
- your application is assessed (if your security clearance is granted)
- you are granted a licence (if your application is successful).