Apply to become an accredited person
To be certified as an accredited person, a person must have the expert skills, knowledge and experience to assess if the following comply with the relevant radiation safety standard:
- the premises where a radiation source is used
- where radioactive substances are stored
- a radiation source.
Only an accredited person can issue assessment reports and certificates of compliance.
The accredited person must follow the specified process, time frames and documentation requirements for the certification of a radiation source or premises, set out in the Radiation Safety Act 1999.
An accredited person holds an Accreditation Certificate, which specifies the types of radiation sources or premises they are authorised to issue a Certificate of Compliance for. Accreditation Certificates are granted by Queensland Health.
Accreditation Certificates may last 1, 2 or 3 years. Renewal applications must be made before the current certificate expires.
Contact Radiation Health for a list of accredited persons in Queensland.
How to apply
Make sure you provide evidence of your qualifications, training, skills, knowledge and experience. Your application may not be accepted if you do not provide all relevant information.
For your application to be successful:
- complete the Form 10: Application for an Accreditation Certificate (PDF 1234 kB)
- answer all questions on the application form
- sign and date the application form
- provide certified copies of your formal qualifications, training and professional certifications
- provide evidence demonstrating your ability to assess a radiation source to the relevant radiation safety standard
- include the required fees, either credit card payment form or cheque/money order
Note: As part of assessing a radiation source or premises, the accredited person may be required to use a radiation source. In this case, the accredited person is also required to hold an appropriate use licence issued under the Radiation Safety Act 1999. To apply for a use licence, complete the Form 2: Application for a licence to use a radiation source (PDF 1551 kB).
Application and certificate fees
Fees are updated on 1 October each year and are detailed on the application form. The application fee is not refunded if the application is unsuccessful.