Radiation use licence for medical radiation practitioners
Any person who uses radiation source for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes must hold a use licence issued under the Radiation Safety Act 1999. This includes:
- medical radiation practitioners
- student medical radiation practitioners using radiation sources as part of their clinical training.
A use licence can be for 1, 2, or 3 years. Student licences last for 3 years. Applications to renew your licence must be made before your current licence expires.
Form 7 is designed to suit most applicants who are medical radiation practitioners (or students). This form should only be completed electronically; hand written applications will not be fast-tracked.
If your application is successful and you include all the required details, you should receive your licence within 10 business days.
Student medical radiation practitioners must provide evidence that they are currently enrolled in an approved course of study, such as a letter from the educational institution.
Complete Form 2 if you:
- can't complete the form using the selections in Form 7
- use radiation sources other than those specified in Form 7.
Statement of Competency templates are available to provide evidence of competency in a particular modality:
- Statement of Competency – Diagnostic Radiographer (PDF 21 kB)
- Statement of Competency – Radiation Therapist (PDF 20 kB)
Submit your application
Make sure you provide all of the information requested on the application form. Otherwise your application will be delayed while we follow up the required information.
Submit to Radiation Health:
- completed application form, signed and dated
- certified copies of your qualifications and AHPRA registration
- evidence of competency, if relevant
- evidence of enrolment as a student medical radiation practitioner, if relevant
- certified copies of your proof of identity documents
- prescribed fee.
Application and licence fees
Fees are updated on 1 October each year and are detailed on the application form. The application fee is not refunded if the application is unsuccessful.