Child Health services
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
We look forward to partnering with you and your family as your child/children grows and develops towards adulthood.
We strive to provide child health services that are culturally safe and comprehensive across the Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service (TCHHS).
This service may provide but is not limited to the following:
- Postnatal care
- Parenting support
- Feeding support
- Growth and developmental health checks
- Hearing and vision screening
- Mum’s & Bub’s group
Services can be delivered via:
- Face to Face
- Home visits
- Telehealth consultations
- Telephone consultations
- Visits to schools, kindergartens and child care centres
Other available services can be provided by:
- Allied Health (e.g. speech pathologist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist)
- Specialist Services (e.g. paediatrician, paediatric cardiologist, IROC)
- Early intervention parenting support advisors
- Child Protection Liaison Officers (CPLO)
- Women’s shelters
- Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Service (MHAODS) (postnatal depression)
- Social workers
- Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS)
Child Health Nurses work in collaboration with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health care workers and other health professionals e.g. doctors, paediatricians, occupational therapists, speech therapists, physiotherapists.
Depending on where you live, your child’s health care may be provided by Queensland Health or these non-government organisations:
- Apunipima Cape York Health Council
- Torres Health
- Ambamu Ukan Florence Brisbane Health Centre (Injinoo Clinic)
- Mura Kosker Sorority (Child & Family Support Program)
How to access child health services
You can access child health services by phoning your nearest child health team to arrange an appointment and discuss the services with you.
Please bring your child’s Personnel Health Record book (the baby red book) when you visit your health centre or clinic. This book is a valuable record of your child’s growing, developing and immunisation.
|Bamaga Primary Health Care||Cooktown Community Health|
Contact: 07 4069 3200
Address: 175 Adidi Street, Bamaga Qld 4876
Child Health Nurse
Contact: 07 4043 0170
Address: 48 Hope St, Cooktown Qld 4895
|Thursday Island Primary Health Care||Weipa|
Sibuwani Ngurpai Meta
Contact: 07 4069 0400
Address: 72-74 Douglas Street, Thursday Island Qld 4875
Child Health Nurse
Contact: 07 4082 3676 and 4082 3900
Address: 407 John Evans Drive, Weipa Qld 4874
|Primary Health Care Centres|
Contact your local Primary Health Care Centre for all initial enquiries related to child health services.
Provide feedback on child health services
As a health service we value your feedback. Please visit “We are listening” and choose your preferred option to provide feedback or suggestions related to the service.