Nurse Navigator Services
Nurse Navigators are a team of registered nurses who provide a service for patients within Torres and Cape HHS who have complex health conditions and require a high degree of comprehensive, clinical care.
These nurses are highly experienced and have an in-depth understanding of the health system.
Key principles of the Nurse Navigator Services:
- Coordinating patient centred care
- Creating partnerships
- Improving patient outcomes
- Facilitating systems improvement
Nurse Navigators will:
- use a multi-disciplinary approach to monitor high needs patients, identify actions required to manage their health care and direct patients to the right service, at the right time and in the right place.
- provide a central point of communication and engagement to ensure optimal care and coordination of services along a patient’s entire health care journey.
- educate and help patients to better understand their health conditions and enable them to self-manage, participate in decisions about their health care and improve their own health outcomes.
Nurse Navigators support and work across system boundaries and in close partnership with multiple health specialists and health service stakeholders to ensure patients receive the appropriate and timely care needed.
The health service will identify if you qualify for this service and assign a Nurse Navigator to connect with you.
Nurse Navigator Services teams are currently located in Aurukun, Cairns and Thursday Island for eligible patients living in Cape York, Northern Peninsula Area and Torres Strait Islands.
Do you have a patient who could benefit from nurse navigator services?
- Determine eligibility by contacting the Nursing Director or Clinical Leader of the patient's nearest Torres and Cape HHS facility to discuss their needs and main purpose of the referral.
- Complete the Nurse Navigator Service referral form (PDF 89 kB) then
- Email to TCHHS-Nurse-Navigator-Service@health.qld.gov.au
Do you need more information?
Contact the Team Leader for more information via:
Phone: (07) 4226 3005