Skip links and keyboard navigation

Proof of identity

Seeking proof of identification to access sensitive personal information is a legal requirement and a practical and reasonable measure to protect confidential personal information from disclosure to a person who is not entitled to access.

You will need to provide evidence of your identity to access sensitive personal information.

As part of establishing proof of identity, copies of documents submitted in support of an application must be certified as a true and correct copy by a qualified witness.

The following persons are considered to be qualified witnesses and are able to certify photocopies of documents as being “a correct copy of the document”:

  • Lawyer
  • Commissioner for Declarations
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Notary Public

When applications are received at a facility (“over the counter”) Torres and Cape HHS officers are able to sight original proof of identity documents submitted in support of an application.

Proof of identity documents are to be in the English language otherwise these must be translated by an accredited translator.  The official translation document is to accompany the certified copy of original documents.

Responding to requests for identification (ID)

Even when you have received treatment at a facility over several years, and are “known” by our staff, please understand that by asking for proof of identification we are demonstrating our commitment to protecting your personal information.

Statutory declaration

Queensland Statutory Declaration template is available to download.

Category A

One form of identification such as:

  • Current Australian photo driver's licence, front and back
  • Adult Proof of Age Card (formerly the 18+ card)
  • Current Australian passport (copy identifying page)
  • Current overseas passport
  • Current Defence Force or Police Service photo ID card
  • Current Australian Firearms licence
  • Prisoner identity card certified by a corrective services officer.

If unable to provide identification from the Category A, two forms of identification from Category B, at least one with a signature.

Category B

Options include two forms of identification (one with a signature) such as:

  • A copy of a certificate or extract from a register of births
  • Current Medicare card
  • Current financial institution debit or credit card with your signature
  • Current entitlement/ pension card issued by the Commonwealth or State Government
  • Public Service employee ID card
  • Educational institution student identity document (must include photo and/ or signature)
  • School or other educational report, less than twelve months old
  • Australian Marriage Certificate.

If unable to provide two forms of identification from the Category B, one form of identification from Category B and one from Category C.

Category C

  • Recent utility account (e.g., gas, electricity, home phone) with current residential address
  • Recent financial Institution statement with current residential address
  • Rent / lease agreement with current residential address
  • Rates notice in your name with current residential address
  • Recent official correspondence from Government Service Providers (not from this agency) with current residential address.
  • PAYG payment summary, less than two years old, with tax file number.

Last updated: 16 December 2021