Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
ATODS provides information, clinical assessment, counselling, treatment and referral for individuals, groups and families with a range of alcohol and other drug related problems. The service provides a range of services including health promotion and workforce development.
- Provision of clinical assessment and psychological interventions to individuals, their partners and families on substance-related matters.
- Provision of opiate treatment and other pharmacological-based programs for the management of addiction.
- Provision of planned withdrawal from substances under medical supervision.
- Referral of clients with more complex issues to a range of public and private health and welfare services.
- Provision of drug and alcohol treatment services for those who have judicial offences.
- Development and delivery of a range of prevention and health promotion initiatives using a community development approach.
- Education and training of health professionals in the assessment and management of alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs in primary health care settings.
- Consultative services on the development of policies and procedures to more effectively manage the substance-related problems of staff and / or clients in workplaces.
- Provision of outreach services for Ingham, Palm Island, Charters Towers, The Townsville Hospital and Youth Services.
- Provision of primary and secondary needle and syringe program.
How to access services
North Ward - Referral and walk-ins accepted:
ALL referrals are processed through Intake services at North Ward, and the ATODS Referral Form can be downloaded here, alternatively, please phone North Ward (07 4433 9600) to arrange for a form to be forwarded to you. Assistance is available to people with reading and writing difficulties. Support persons can attend the initial consultation at the request of the client. An Indigenous health worker is available to provide assistance when required. Most services operate on the business hours of Monday to Friday 08.00 am - 4.30 pm.
New and previous clients in Townsville can access clinical treatment services by attending an intake session at the North Ward Health Campus Monday to Friday 09.30 - 11.30 am and 1.00 - 2.30 pm with no appointment required, or can be done over the telephone. The initial consultation will take about half an hour and on first contact, clients will be asked to complete some paperwork.
Following attendance at an intake session, clients may be offered full assessment and ongoing treatment services across the different facilities. The following services operate from or through North Ward:
- Intake, assessment and counselling with outreach to Ingham.
- Opiate Treatment Program with outreach to Charters Towers and Ingham.
- Health Promotion.
- Needle and Sryinge Program.
- The Townsville Hospital adult inpatients are supported by ATOD's Hospital Liaison workers - a Consultation Liaison Psychiatry (CLP) referral form is required.
Palmerston Street - Referral and walk-ins not accepted:
The services that operate out of this facility include Diversionary and Recovery services (DART), youth and the withdrawal day centre. A walk-in self-referral service does NOT operate here. Youth Service is a service working with youth aged from 12 to 25 years in collaboration with other Townsville youth service providers. The Withdrawal Day Program is an ambulatory service to provide assistance, support and interventions to individuals, families and communities for management of withdrawal from substances. The program is run within business hours Monday – Friday.
DART supports those that have or may have judicial offences associated with their substance use. DART also provides a culturally sensitive program for clients who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders. Palm Island is supported through Palmerston St.
Provision of training sessions on the clinical management of substance-related issues for health and welfare workers.
Requests for service may include training and education, advice on early intervention, policy, or health promotion. Training and Education Application Form can be downloaded here.
Needle & Syringe Program
Our services are offered at the following locations with most services operating within the business hours of Monday- Friday 0800-1630:
- North Ward Health Campus, Ground floor and First Floor Reception, 35 Gregory Street, North Ward
- Kirwan Health Campus, Adult Reception, 138 Thuringowa Drive, Kirwan
- The Townsville Hospital, Pharmacy, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas
- Community Health Centre, Ingham Health Service, 2-16 McIlwraith Street, Ingham
- Sexual Health Services, Joyce Palmer Hospital, Palm Island
- Community Mental Health Service, Charters Towers Health Service, 137-139 Gill Street, Charters Towers
Needle-Dispensing Machine:24-hours a day, 7 days per week. Cost $2.00 per kit.
- The Townsville Hospital, Western Entrance, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas.
Other Service Providers
Community-based residential treatment services (ie detoxification / rehabilitation programs):
- Ferdy's Haven Drug and Alcohol Rehab, Palm Island - For further information on services provided, phone (07) 4770 1152.
- Ozcare Residential Drug & Alcohol Treatment Services (ORDATS), Townsville - For further information on services provided, phone (07) 4772 0855.
- Salvation Army Townsville Recovery Services, Townsville - For further information on services provided, phone (07) 4772 3607.
- Stagpole Street Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Unit (DARU), Townsville - For further information on services provided, phone (07) 4771 5655.
Self-help services & groups (no referral required):
- Quitline - Free, 24-hour, telephone advice and information for smoking cessation. Phone 131 848.
- Alcohol & Drug Information Service (ADIS) - Free, 24-hour, telephone information services for alcohol and drug issues. Phone 1800 177 833.
- Alcoholics Anonymous - For further information on local meeting times, phone (07) 4771 5411.
- The Reverend Charles Harris Special Care Centre (Diversionary Centre), The Bohle - For further information, phone (07) 4774 4430.