Cardiac Patient Education and Rehabilitation - Townsville HHS
Cardiac Patient Education and Rehabilitation Phase 1 is a service provided to inpatients and their families. The role of the service is to provide quality, patient focused education for clients with cardiac disease that introduces and encourages behaviours in patients to help minimise the risk of further cardiac events and conditions. This service:
- Provides evidenced based care across the continuum that then links with Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase 2 programs across the district.
- Promotes service delivery based on the Recommended Framework for Cardiac Rehabilitation (The National Heart Foundation and ACRA 2004)
- Provides an environment that is individually appropriate and conducive to patient and family education and promotes a "wellness" model of health.
- Supports and educates the individual patient in developing and maintaining skills for long-term behavioural change and self-management
- Conducts daily pre-admission clinics for Cardiology patients (Monday to Friday)
- Maintains communication with Cardiac Rehabilitation Advisory Group.
The patients seen by this service include, but are not limited to:
- Cardiac surgery patients, pre and post surgery. These surgeries include coronary artery bypass grafts and heart valve replacements or repairs. Patients are given information on recovery expectations, how to manage after discharge and ongoing lifestyle modifications.
- Patients admitted with a cardiac event (myocardial Infarction or acute coronary syndrome.) Education is provided on the disease process, procedures and relevant investigations. Recovery guidelines and on-going lifestyle modifications are identified with information provided to encourage and promote skills for long-term self-management.
- Cardiology pre-admission clinics for outpatients requiring coronary angiogram and/or coronary angioplasty. Clinics are conducted Monday to Friday from 12:30pm. Patients are seen individually for education and then reviewed by the cardiology resident to prepare them for their procedure.
- Cardiology pre-admission clinics for patients requiring Permanent Pacemaker, implantable cardiac defibrillator, generator changes, electrophysiology studies and ablation, cardioversion and rotoblations are also seen by this service.
- All eligible patients are referred to their nearest cardiac rehabilitation program for ongoing development of their self-management skills. If there is no local program, patients are referred to the telephone based service (COACH) for support.
Location and Contact Details
Room A1.211, Cardiac Investigations
|Postal Address||Internal Mail Box 45, PO Box 670, Townsville, QLD 4810|
+61 7 4433 1426
|Facsimile||+61 7 4433 1221|
|Hours||Sunday to Friday 8.00am - 4.30pm.|
Referrals are not required for Coronary Care Unit, Cardiothoracic unit or Cardiac Catheter Day Unit. Other wards will need to contact us by phone if they have a patient requiring review.
Our Health Team
Three clinical nurses staff the service, all with experience in cardiac nursing.