Chronic Heart Failure Service - The Townsville Hospital
The Chronic Health Failure Service provides support to the patient, family and/or carer to reduce avoidable hospitable admissions and improve quality of life.
- Provides evidence-based education across the continuum
- Supports the individual/family/carer to develop the confidence to self manage through the recognition, monitoring and appropriate management of symptoms
- Provides a flexible, patient-focused service considering the individual and his or her needs
- Nurse Practitioner clinics focus on medication titration, assess response to dosage changes, and prescribe appropriate investigations
- Medication counselling/support by Clinical Pharmacist (part-time position)
- Referral to Exercise Physiology (part-time) support to provide exercise prescription, functional assessment through home visits / group gym sessions
- Refer to allied health (QH/NGO) as required
- Referrals are accepted from Cardiac Services : six Consultant Cardiologists and three Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Promotes service delivery based on the National Heart Foundation and Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Guidelines for the Prevention, detection and management of Chronic Heart Failure in Australia (update) July 2011
- Aligns with the State-wide Heart Failure Services and maintains communication through the Northern Area Heart Failure Interest Group which links into the State-wide Steering Committee
Contact is provided through:
- inpatient visits
- outpatient clinics
- telephone contact
- home visits
Location and Contact Details
Room A1.724, Medical and Cardiac Clinics
Internal Mail Box 9, PO Box 670, Townsville, QLD 4810
Reception: +61 7 4433 1370
+61 7 4433 1427
Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.30pm.
Currently, the service accepts referrals from across Cardiac Services.
Our Health Team
The team consists of a Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Nurse Consultant, Clinical Nurse, Clinical Pharmacist (part time) and Exercise Physiologist (part time) along with shared Administration support.