Kirwan Community Health Service - Townsville HHS
Townsville Community Health Service (TCHS) provides a range of coordinated options for clients within the local Townsville Hospital catchment, which include:
- Post-acute care (after hospital care service)
- Short-term, goal-orientated therapy or group-based hospital avoidance interventions
- Service Coordination
Services are multidisciplinary, provided by:
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Workers
- Exercise Physiologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Social Workers
- Speech Pathologists
- Therapy Assistants
What services are available ?
Post-Acute CareThe Post Acute Care services aim to improve a client’s transition from hospital to the community by providing short-term nursing care, personal care, and/or allied health services to support a client’s recovery post discharge from hospital (or emergency department).
Includes coordinated services of:
- Allied Health Rapid Response (from Emergency Department, The Townsville Hospital)
- CHIP (Community and Hospital Interface Program) Discharge Coordination
- Community IV Program
- Post-Acute Nursing Care
- Post-Acute Wound Clinic (including vacuum assisted therapy, stoma and urinary catheter care)
Short-term, goal-orientated therapy or group-based hospital avoidance interventions
Clinical Services (in home or clinic based goal-orientated therapy) include:
- Dietetics (for clients with chronic condition/s requiring dietary input)
- Hearing Health Screening (for Indigenous school-aged children)
- Occupational Therapy (including upper limb, cognition, home and functional assessment)
- Case-management and assessment
- Physiotherapy Balance, Mobility/ Falls Assessment and Equipment Trials
- Social Worker/Counselling
- Speech Pathology
- Cardiac rehabilitation education & exercise
- Chronic Disease exercise group
- Living Strong Program (Indigenous specific)
- National Indigenous Pneumococcal & Influenza Immunisation (NIPII) program
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Provides supportive care planning for at risk or frail clients aimed at improving access to other health and community care services/providers.
Includes coordinated services of:
- Discharge coordination for Townsville Hospital inpatients and war veterans with complex needs, facilitating referral(s) to the most appropriate agency (government or non-government) to support ongoing needs
- Central Referral Intake service (phone 4433 9500, Monday to Friday, between 08:00 am - 4:30 pm) for all referrals where staff will link you to the required service
- Support for clients presenting to the Emergency Department who require community and clinical services
- Cultural support by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers
- Multidisciplinary team approach, including Community Assessment & Case-management for clients with complex needs and home oxygen.
Hours of service
All services operate from the Kirwan Community Health Facility - Monday to Friday, hours are 08:00am-4:30 pm
Post Acute Nursing Care provides services seven days a week (including pubic holidays) – hours are 08:00am-4:30pm.
How to access (or refer to) TCHS
You (or your carer) can phone 4433 9500 and ask to speak to our Intake Officer (4433 9500) – who will assist you to access the health care service that best suits your needs, or
For clients aged 65 years and over (or 50 years and older and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person), a referral must be made through My Aged Care.
Generally there is no cost for services provided.
- Costs will apply for Podiatry service if Orthotics requires casting.
Townsville Community Health Service welcomes your feedback about its service.
Client feedback can be provided by speaking with any of our staff members, or by completing the feedback form, which is provided at time when service commences.
|Location||Kirwan Health Campus, 138 Thuringowa Drive, Kirwan QLD 4817|
|Postal Address||PO Box 1596, Thuringowa Central QLD 4817|
|Phone||General enquiries - Intake Officer +61 4433 9500|
|Central Referral Intake Team Phone +61 4433 9500|
|Post Acute Nursing Care (PANC) Services - weekend only for current clients +61 7 4433 9933|
|Fax||Central Referral Intake Team +61 7 4433 9501|