Medical Imaging X-ray CT Ultrasound MRI Nuclear Medicine Townsville Resource Directory
The Medical Imaging Department provides comprehensive imaging and specialist radiological and nuclear medicine services for The Townsville Hospital and Health Service and the North Queensland area more broadly.
The Medical Imaging Department is organised into five clinical sections, each supported by coordinated administration and nursing staff to support The Townsville Hospital as a tertiary referral hospital. Specialised services include:
- Specialist modalities - (MRI; CT; Interventional radiology)
- General radiography
- Nuclear medicine
- Emergency Department Imaging
- Specific imaging recovery/day beds are located within the service for radiology ‘day procedure’ patients.
As a northern hub for radiological services, the unit has links allowing the digital transfer of images and results to and from all facilities in the health service. All imaging records (images and reports) are managed and archived in digital form (PACS) by The Townsville Hospital.
Digital information is transferable, to other Queensland Health facilities (via network) or on CD to non-Queensland Health sites for review.
Referring clinicians are supported with clinical reporting, an extensive clinical meeting program and by availability of specialist radiology and Nuclear medicine physicians for case by case consultation. Staff specialists provide comprehensive radiology and nuclear medicine skills to support the clinical services.
The Medical Imaging Department provides training for radiology registrars and health practitioners (radiographers; sonographers and nuclear medicine technologists).
The service operates
- 24 hours, seven days a week for emergency imaging.
- Routine imaging services are available from 8am-5pm Monday to Friday.
- Contact hours between 7:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.
A medical imaging (radiology) referral is required for all requests to the service. Each referral requires sign off by a requesting medical officer or authorised health professionals and core information -
- Appropriate clinical history
- Information indicating the clinical question and examination desired
- Contact details allowing radiological consultation or follow up (when required)
- Legislation requires fully completed referrals to ensure dose minimisation and most appropriate examination performed and results obtained.
How to make an appointment
Plain x-rays - No appointment required
- For plain x-ray e.g. chest/extremity x-rays - Simply present to our reception desk with your original request form between 7:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.
All other examinations - A booking is required
- Patients will need to phone or present to reception with their original referral/request form to arrange an appointment.
- Patients may be required to complete a questionnaire (safety) or have preliminary images taken prior to an appointment.
- A patient or relative may be required to collect specific examination preparations and instructions relevant to the appointment prior to the examination day.
Our Health team
The Imaging Department staffing
- Medical: Director of Radiology; radiology & nuclear medicine staff specialists; registrars
- Health Practitioners: Director and Assistant Directors of Medical Imaging, senior health practitioners; shift radiographers, nuclear medicine technologists and sonographers
- Nurses: Nurse Unit Manager; Clinical Nurse Consultant; clinical, registered and enrolled nurses
- Support Staff: Administration & operational support staff.
Ground Floor, Acute Block, The Townsville Hospital,
|Postal Address||IMB 47, PO Box 670, Townsville QLD 4810|
|Phone||+61 7 4433 1500|
|Facsimile||+61 7 4433 1501|