Townsville Palliative Care Service is a part of the Townsville Cancer Centre and cares for patients with both cancer and non-cancer diagnoses. The purpose built facility, comprising inpatient beds, offices for outreach services, and research and educational facilities, opened in 2009. It is located next to the main Townsville Hospital building.
It is the only CSCF Level 5/6 Specialist Palliative Care Service in North Queensland, and supports the care of people living with a life-limiting illness across the Townsville region and beyond.
The service’s multidisciplinary team includes dedicated medical, nursing, social work and allied health staff. Services include:
- Inpatient care for management of complex symptoms and provision of end-of-life care
- Outpatient clinics (ground floor, Oncology Clinics)
- Consultation services to the Townsville Hospital and primary care providers in the region
- Outreach medical, social work and allied health services and contracted domiciliary nursing services to patients in the community
- Counselling and support for patients, relatives and staff dealing with the complex issues that arise at the end of life
- Educational programs for health workers from across North Queensland and students from James Cook University
Townsville Palliative Care Service Volunteers
The Palliative Care Service has a group of specially trained volunteers who provide support to patients of the service in the Palliative Care Centre and in family homes in the community. All volunteers are required to go through an application and training process, and their activities are managed by the Coordinator of Volunteers, based in the Palliative Care Centre. Volunteers can provide various types of support (within established guidelines) to families in the community, including respite for carers, companionship, assistance with community access, and practical support. Volunteers are a daily presence in the palliative care centre, where they provide support to patients and visitors, along with specialised services including massage, manicures and art activities.
If you believe you may be eligible for volunteer support, or would like information about joining our group of volunteers, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers on 4433 4264 or 0428 649 066, or via e-mail on THHS-PalliativeCareVolunteers@health.qld.gov.au
The Townsville Hospital, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas, QLD 4814
|Postal Address||Internal Mail Box 58, PO Box 670, Townsville QLD 4810|
|Phone||+61 7 4433 4242|
|Facsimile||+61 7 4433 4241|
Telephoning Palliative Care Service Unit on hospital extension 4433 4260 or fax written referrals on 4433 4291.