Townsville Palliative Care Service is a part of the Townsville Cancer Centre and cares for patients with both cancer and non-cancer diagnoses. The purpose built facility, comprising inpatient beds, offices for outreach services, and research and educational facilities, opened in 2009. It is located next to the main Townsville Hospital building.
It is the only CSCF Level 5/6 Specialist Palliative Care Service in North Queensland, and supports the care of people living with a life-limiting illness across the Townsville region and beyond.
The service’s multidisciplinary team includes dedicated medical, nursing, social work and allied health staff. Services include:
- Inpatient care for management of complex symptoms and provision of end-of-life care
- Outpatient clinics (ground floor, Oncology Clinics)
- Consultation services to the Townsville Hospital and primary care providers in the region
- Outreach medical, social work and allied health services and contracted domiciliary nursing services to patients in the community
- Counselling and support for patients, relatives and staff dealing with the complex issues that arise at the end of life
- Educational programs for health workers from across North Queensland and students from James Cook University
The Townsville Hospital, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas, QLD 4814
|Postal Address||Internal Mail Box 58, PO Box 670, Townsville QLD 4810|
|Phone||+61 7 4433 4242|
|Facsimile||+61 7 4433 4241|
Telephoning Palliative Care Service Unit on hospital extension 4433 4260 or fax written referrals on 4433 4291.