The key services of the Social Work Department can be summarised as:
- Social casework services for patients and/or their families/carers who are experiencing personal, emotional, health and environmental problems.
- Enabling patients and/or their families/carers to utilise community health and welfare agencies, both government and non government, including advocacy, mediation, community liaison and development activities.
- Assisting patients and/or their families/carers make adjustments to illness or disability, and in having an active involvement in their medical treatment.
- Providing discharge and/or after-care planning services where complex social and/or environmental situations exist.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with other training staff in planning admission, treatment and discharge services.
- Assessment where frequent or recurring hospitalisations indicate that problems other than medical may be present.
- Compiling and evaluating social data for use in service planning and research.
- Developing and maintaining linkages with community resources.
- Provision of home and community assessments for the treating health team.
- Provision and advice on culturally appropriate services.
- Provision of educational placements for Social Work and Welfare Work students
Social Work information brochure
(PDF, 380 KB)
Our Health Team
- Qualified Social Workers eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers
- Qualified Welfare Workers eligible for membership of the Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers.
Information brochure (PDF, 380 KB)
For you in your time of grief - booklet (PDF, 202 KB)
Social Work Resources - Townsville Hospital and Health Service
Ground Floor, Acute Block
The Townsville Hospital (behind mail hut), 100 Angus Smith Drive Douglas QLD 4814
| Postal Address|| IMB 73, PO Box 670, Townsville QLD 4810|
| Phone|| +61 7 4433 2170|
| Facsimile|| +61 7 4433 2171|
| Hours||Core opening hours for Hospital-based Social Work Services are:|
- 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.
- Weekends see a crisis response social worker based in the hospital between 9.00 am and 5.30pm