Skip links and keyboard navigation

Accommodation: Social Work Services - The Prince Charles Hospital (Queensland Health)

Image of people and buildings

Short stay/short term accommodation

If you need short term accommodation to be close to a relative or friend while they are in hospital, there are a number of options available. There are some accommodation providers within a short walking distance from the hospital: Glen Alvie Apartments, Chermside Court Motel and Prince Charm Court.

Accommodation near The Prince Charles Hospital (PDF, 144KB) is a guide to rooms rates in the vicinity but please bear in mind that prices are subject to change.

Queensland residents

If it is medically necessary for you to be an escort for your relative while they are in hospital, you may be able to receive an accommodation subsidy from your local hospital through the Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme. Unless your relative requires an emergency admission, you will need to obtain approval for your accommodation and travel subsidy prior to travel. Phone or visit the patient travel office at your local hospital to discuss your eligibility and the application process. If your relative has been admitted unexpectedly, see the social worker as soon as possible on your relative's Ward, and they will liaise with your local hospital on your behalf. Direct billing may be able to be arranged so you only need to pay your accommodation provider the difference between the subsidy and the full cost of your accommodation.

New South Wales residents

New South Wales has a similar scheme called Transport for Health (external site).  You may apply after you travel but there is the possibility that your claim will not be successful. If you are in doubt as to your eligibility for subsidies, contact your local Area Health Service or ask your social worker to contact them on your behalf. If you obtain approval during your relative's hospital admission, direct billing of your accommodation provider may be able to be arranged.

Northern Territory residents

Northern Territory Health's scheme is called the Patient Assistance Travel Scheme (external site).  Arrangements generally need to be made well before you and your relative travel, so contact your local hospital's patient travel office to confirm your eligibility.

Go to Toptop of page

Last updated: 1 April 2010