Skip links and keyboard navigation

Aged Care - Social Work Department - The Prince Charles Hospital (Queensland Health)

Cartoon of people in an apartment building

What's on this page:

>> Services available in the home
>> Services available outside the home 
>> How do I find services? 
>> Residential aged care
>> Steps to residential care
>> Important telephone numbers 
>> Useful websites 

If your ability to manage in your home is affected by health issues, age and/or a disability, there are services and agencies available to support you. 

Often a hospital admission can mean a change in a person's level of independence or ability to manage tasks such as cleaning, laundry, meals, ability to shower oneself or wound care.  There is often a need for a person to receive services in the home to help with these issues to support their independence. 

Services are available to help a person's independence for a short time after discharge, or if there has been a significant change following a health crisis or gradual deterioration then services can be ongoing to help the person continue to live in their community.

Services available in the home

Domestic Assistance Household jobs like cleaning, laundry,   vacuuming
Personal Care Help with showering, bathing, dressing,  and toileting
Home Maintenance General repair and care of a client's home
Home Modification Installation of safety aids such as alarms and rails in your home. For further information refer to Home Assist Website (external site)
Community Nursing Qualified nurses who visit you in your home to provide care such as wound dressing, continence advice and monitoring your medication
Meals This can include either meals-on-wheels or assistance in shopping for food.
In-home respite A worker can remain home with the person needing care, so their carer can have some time-off.

Services available outside the home

Day respite Supports the carer by offering the person needing care access to activity based day respite, often transport can be provided to and from home, lunch is provided and is a good opportunity for social interaction. 
Residential Respite Accessible in Residential Care Facilities once you have an Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) approval.  You can access up to nine weeks of residential respite a year.
Community Transport Volunteers through non-government organisations may be able to assist you with transport to non-urgent medical appointments, shopping and social activities.
Support Groups

There are various groups available through Community Health Centres and The Prince Charles Hospital.  The groups can be either for Carers or for the person with a health issue to provide support and an opportunity for you to share your experience and gain support from others.

Go to Toptop of page

How do I find services?

Speak with your social worker regarding services available on discharge from hospital and which community organisations can provide additional support.  Referrals to service providers will be made by the team prior to discharge.

The Transition Care Program is available on discharge for up to 12 weeks of slow-stream rehabilitation and in-home support - you will need to discuss with the social worker whether you are eligible for this service.

Services are available through Home and Community Care program which are provided by your local Community Health Centre and also non-government organisations.  Click here for the HACC service directory for Brisbane North (external site).

If you are in the community and are requiring assistance, you can contact your local Community Health Centre directly.

You can also access services through the Aged Care Assessment Service which are attached to your local Community Health Centre.

The Aged Care Assessment Service (or Team) - ACAS - is a Commonwealth service and provide assessments for access to Residential Aged Care and packages of care in the home.  These packages of care are named:

Residential Aged Care

Residential care is considered an option for a persons care when services in the community have been tried and they are not sufficient to:

  • manage a person medical and nursing care needs; and/or
  • ensure the person's safety; and/or
  • help a person manage their incontinence; and/or
  • there is a high risk of falls; or 
  • safety issues relating to cognitive decline, such as wandering; or
  • poor mobility requiring assistance to get out of bed and walk around the house; and/or
  • carer stress and ill health which makes it difficult for the care role to continue in the home.

Your social worker can discuss this with you further as moving into residential care is a significant decision.

Within the hospital, your Social Worker will work with the patient and family and facilitate the process of moving into residential care, and provide counselling support on the emotions that are experienced with this decision. 

Back to Top Back to Top

Steps to Residential Care

As a general guideline, the following steps are involved in seeking residential care.  You can download the booklet '5-Step Entry to Residential Care' (external site) for more information. 

  1. ACAS assessment of eligibility for either High or Low level care.
  2. Financial:  You need to complete the 'Request for an Assets Assessment' and mail to either Centrelink or DVA to work out the costs of care.  Click here for more information and the forms (external site).
  3. Finding a home:  A list of residential care facilities in your chosen area can be found at:
  4. Applying:  Each residential care facility needs an application form, and there is a blank form you can use, and photocopy to help manage the paperwork, as it is a time-consuming process.  Click here to access this application form (external site).

Some Important Telephone Numbers

  • Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre - 1800 052 222*
  • Aged Care Information Line - 1800 500 853*
  • Dementia Helpline - 1800 100 500*
  • Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service - 1800 699 799*
  • National Continence Helpline - 1800 330 066*

Useful Websites

Go to Toptop of page

Last updated: 13 October 2010