Maternity services at Emerald Hospital
We provide quality women and family-centred care in a safe environment.
Emerald Hospital is the birthing hub for the Central Highlands region which is the size of Tasmania. The region includes :
- Gem Fields
The maternity care options available include:
- Midwifery Group practice
- Hospital care provided by the standard team Midwives and Rural Generalist Senior Medical Officers
- Shared Care
- General Practitioners
Emerald Hospital also offers VBACs (Vaginal Births After Caesarean) and delivers patients who have gestational diabetes on insulin.
We care for you throughout your pregnancy journey, before and during birth and beyond.
When to come to hospital
Please come to the maternity unit immediately if:
- your waters have broken
- you have bleeding from the vagina
- you are having regular pains or contractions 5-10 minutes apart
- you have severe abdominal pain
- there are any changes in your baby’s movements. For example, if the movements are less frequent, more than usual or if you have any other concerns around your baby’s movements.
Please phone the maternity unit before coming in, if you have time.
Check the visiting hours page for the latest information about visiting hours in CQ Health hospitals.
Photographs and video
You are encouraged to bring a camera to capture special memories. If you wish to photograph/video the birth please speak with the midwife or doctor caring for you.
While we aim to make this a positive experience for you, please understand your midwife or doctor may not wish to be included in images of your birth.