We care for people who need rehabilitation after a disabling illness or injury. Our service works closely with other services across the hospital to ensure patients are given the best opportunity to reach their full potential.
We care for people living with:
- amputation (if not being referred to the amputee service).
- brain injury.
- spinal cord dysfunction.
- orthopaedic conditions
- deconditioning following surgery or prolonged medical illness
The rehabilitation team includes the following disciplines:
Geriatric and Rehabilitation Services (GARS) is located at Rockhampton Hospital. GARS offers:
- Inpatient rehabilitation, where patients stay in the inpatient unit to undertake intensive rehabilitation with daily help from our team
- Day Hospital Rehabilitation, where patients visit the hospital to do rehabilitation with our team
- outreach service to Mt Morgan, Capricorn Coast and Gladstone
- Living with Amputation service
Who can access this service
This service is for adults of all ages who have intensive rehabilitation therapy needs.
How to access this service
You can be referred by a hospital clinician while you are staying in hospital. You can also access this service via referral from your GP or medical practitioner.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.