Cairns Diabetes Centre
Creating dependable health care and better health for all people with diabetes mellitus.Either
Type 1 Diabetes mellitus
Type 2 Diabetes mellitus
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus [G.D.M.]
Maternity Onset Diabetes in Young (MODY)
Diabetes related to secondary causes
- Specialist medical services to people with diabetes mellitus
- High Risk Foot service
- Telehealth; case conference, clinical consult and education
- Outreach Specialist Services to communities on Cape York, Torres Strait Islands, Cairns and Hinterland.
- Diabetes education and dietary consults for all types of diabetes including for those who require insulin stabilisation.
- Specialist education on insulin pump therapy and continuous glucose monitoring for adults and children with Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes in pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes - groups and individual sessions.
- Pre pregnancy counselling.
- Diabetes update for health professionals
- Diabetes education with an indigenous health worker
- Individual education for non-English speaking people with an interpreter
- Individual education for people with special needs and the people who support them
- Support for people with diabetes admitted to hospital
- Advice on what to do on days when clients are sick and when travelling
- Children and family fun days/camp
- Information sessions to community groups by request
- Skills training to medical, diabetes educator, podiatry, dietetic and health worker students.
It is recommended that clients have yearly complications screening.Tests include checking:
- Eyes and vision
- Kidneys (blood & urine tests)
- Risk factors for heart disease such as blood pressure, blood fats and smoking
Medical Review Clinic
The team at the Diabetes Centre will review the client's diabetes management and discuss, or change the treatment to suit the individual’s needs..
A bi-weekly phone-in or email service to help clients stabilise their diabetes without coming into the centre..
High Risk Foot Clinic
Tests include assessing feet for nerve damage, circulation problems and deformity.
Service includes the management of diabetic foot complications including ulceration and amputation.
Education and Dietary Services
These need a referral from the doctor. The client can self-refer however the service is limited to existing clients of the Cairns Diabetes Centre..
List of disciplines
- Consultant Endocrinologists
- Public Health Physician
- Nurse Practitioner/Navigator
- Specialist Dietitians
- Senior Podiatrists
- Credentialed Diabetes Educators
- Indigenous Health Workers
The Cairns Diabetes Centre implements best practice in the management of diabetes for all people in Far North Queensland. This requires the development of systems to deliver an integrated service involving the General Practitioner, Hospital, Community Health and Outreach.
The Diabetes Centre aims to achieve consumer participation in the provision of all services and in response to client need these services will undergo constant changes. The Diabetes Centre remains a consultative service with the General Practitioner remaining the central figure in the care of their patients.
The Cairns Diabetes Centre offers a range of specialist medical, educational and dietary services to help clients and General Practitioners manage diabetes more effectively. Referrals are essential to access most services provided by the centre.