Sexual Health Service
What do we do?
As a specialist sexual health clinic, we can provide you with a range of care:
- Testing and treatment of sexually transmissible infections and viral hepatitis
- HIV rapid testing, and treatment
- HIV PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) & HIV PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis)
- Free condoms/lube
- Needle and syringe packs
- Contraception, including emergency contraception
- Abortion access - make an appointment or contact Children By Choice for non-judgemental information
- Transgender care
- G Clinic – Wednesday morning fast track clinic for Transgender, brotherboys, sistergirls, non-binary and gender diverse clients - make an appointment
- Sexual health counselling and information
- Indigenous Health Worker team
- Sexual health and contact tracing information and resources
What can I expect as a patient?
You can talk with us. We have friendly male and female staff and confidentiality is assured. Phone to book or make a phone or web-based appointment, telehealth is available. We have walk-in clinics where you don’t need to book first.
Who is eligible?
Everyone, including overseas travellers, can come and see us. If you have one, bring your Medicare card with you.
While it is free to see us, some medications may incur a charge.
Results: ‘no news is good news’, you will only receive results if a test comes back positive. Most positive results will simply be sent by SMS.
Do I need a referral?
You don't need a referral, just come in during our walk-in hours, or phone us for an appointment for more complicated issues.
# 1, 2 or 7 stop outside on Sheridan Street
# 7 also stops at Cairns Hospital
Rear of the building via Sheridan or Arthur Street
Walk in clinics (no appointment needed)
|Monday||8.30am - 11.30am||1pm - 3.30pm|
|Tuesday||8:30am - 11:30am||1pm - 3.30pm|
|Wednesday||8:30am - 11:30am||CLOSED AFTERNOON|
|Thursday||8:30am - 11:30am||1pm - 6pm|
|Friday||8:30am - 11:30am||1pm - 3.30pm|
Our Pharmacy will also be open Wednesday mornings 9am - 12pm and afternoons all other days 1pm - 5pm.
If we are closed and you need information about accessing abortion please contact Children By Choice for non-judgemental information.
For afterhours emergencies please attend the Cairns Hospital Emergency Department.