Tropical Public Health Services (Cairns)
Tropical Public Health Services (Cairns) works collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders including the Communicable Diseases Branch in Brisbane; other health services; government departments; local governments; non-government agencies; research institutions and local communities.
Tropical Public Health Services (Cairns) is distinguished from other roles within the health system by its focus on the health and well-being of populations, rather than individuals. TPHS (Cairns) focuses on:-
- Protecting health
- Preventing disease and illness.
Tropical Public Health Services (Cairns) provides public health services and support across Far North Queensland to the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service and the Torres Cape Hospital and Health Service.
- Communicable Disease Control – Response to notifiable diseases and outbreaks
- Immunisation – Advice on immunisation to vaccine service providers and co-ordination of immunisation programs
- Environmental Health – Monitoring and enforcement of public health legislation and response to environmental health issues
- Medical Entomology - Mosquito control including in response to outbreaks of mosquito-borne diseases
- North Queensland Syphilis Surveillance Service - follow up of syphilis cases
- North Queensland STI Action Plan
- Health Surveillance - Surveillance of communicable diseases and tracking of outbreaks as well as the provision of data and statistics on various aspects of public health.
- Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) Program – Statewide Program for the monitoring of, and education on, Acute Rheumatic Fever (ARF) and its associated RHD.
Population Diversity Profiles
Population diversity profiles (PDF 1812 kB) are now available for the Cairns and Hinterland HHS and for seven planning regions within the HHS.
The profiles include estimated resident populations, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations, socioeconomic status, country of birth, language spoken at home, proficiency in spoken English, ancestry and religious affiliation.
RHD useful links
- RHD Program videos
- RHD Australia
- ARF notification information
- RHD notification information
- ARF RHD guidelines
- RHD E-Learning