Skip links and keyboard navigation

Radiography and sonography

Our radiographers and sonographers use imaging technologies to diagnose a range of conditions. You need to meet certain requirements to practice.

As a medical imaging technologist, also known as a radiographer, you'll provide services in emergency departments, wards and operating theatres.

We have employment opportunities and experiences in the following areas:

  • ultrasonography
  • CT scanning
  • MRI
  • interventional procedures
  • rural relief services in rural and remote areas.

You may also work with the BreastScreen Queensland program, and in custom built departments with access to state of the art technology.

Qualification and registration requirements


To practice as a radiographer in Queensland you must be registered with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia. You'll also need to have a current radiation safety license.


To practice as a sonographer, you must be eligible to be listed on the Australasian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR). If you're a radiographer but only performing ultrasound duties, you don't need to be registered with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia.

International qualifications


If you're a radiographer who qualified in another country, your qualifications will be assessed as part of the registration application process with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia.

If you have current registration in New Zealand, you may be able to apply for registration in Australia under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Overseas qualified practitioners can find more information on the Medical Radiation Practice Board's registration page.


If your qualification isn't on this list, it must be assessed for accreditation by the Australian Society of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy (ASMIRT).

Last updated: 11 June 2014