Cairns North Community Health
Distance to main referring hospital(s)
Cairns Hospital 2.4 km
- Adult Community Health incorporating Post Acute
- Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)
- Allied Health services:
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- Speech Therapy
- Persistent Pain Management
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service (ARCBS) - donor centre (external service provider)
Cardiac Rehabilitation - outpatient programs
- Child and family health programs
- Immunisation clinics
- Child Development Service
- Diabetes Services
- Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)
- Indigenous Health Workers
- Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
- Oral Health Services
- Persisent Pain Services
- Pulmonary Pain Services
- Refugee Health Services
- Sexual Health Service
- Transition Care Program (TCP)
- Queensland Community Care
Child Health Services are provided at below locations –
please phone for times.
Cairns North Community Health Centre|
381 Sheridan Street, Cairns North
Phone: 4226 4315
Early Years Centre Cairns|
Borrowdale Close, Bentley Park College via
McLaughlin Road, Bentley Park
Phone: 07 40346800
Smithfield Community Health Centre|
16 Danbulan Street, Smithfield
Phone: 4226 4803
Edmonton Community Health Centre|
10 – 12 Robert Road, Bentley Park
Phone: 4226 4945
Early Years Centre Gordonvale|
33 Sheppards Street, Gordonvale 4865
Kuranda Community Health|
Kuranda Medical Centre, 33 Barrang Street Kuranda.
Phone: 4226 9170
- Child Health Support - Support in the areas of breast feeding, parenting, health, growth and development, sleep and settling, home visits, scheduled health checks and open consultations to discuss parenting experiences and your child’s health and development. Intensive home visiting for selected families.
- Childhood Immunisation Program - Targets children aged 0-5 years.
- School Immunisation Program - as per Statewide recommendations
- Positive Parenting Program - Triple P promotes a positive, caring relationship with your child, encouraging desirable behaviour and managing misbehaviour. For seminars and groups Ph: 4226 0047
- Circle of Security Groups - COS works with understanding and supporting your child’s development of emotions, confidence and self-esteem & connecting with your child and responding to their needs. For groups Ph: 4226 0047
- Early Intervention Parenting Services - Support to enhance the nurturing role of families with children aged 0-8 years, who are experiencing depression or anxiety in pregnancy and early parenthood, or attachment and child behaviour concerns.
- Good Start Program - The Good Start Program is a chronic disease preventative program culturally tailored for Maori and Pacific Islander children, young people and their families. The program aims to educate Maori and Pacific Islander communities to “live a healthier tomorrow” through education on nutrition, physical activity and wellbeing. The Good Start program also provide a service at Cairns Base Hospital, to provide culturally appropriate support to Maori and Pacific Islander patients in Maternity, Paediatrics and Emergency Departments.
For Maori and Pacific Islander Hospital Liaison service please contact mobile: 0409 350 348/0401 541 080.
For more information about the program or any of the services please contact 4226 4448.
- Speech Pathology - Support for children aged 0 – Prep.
- Children’s Continence Services - Support for children with continence issues.
- Hearing Screening for school aged children.
- Indigenous Health Workers. Provide culturally appropriate support to our indigenous families.
- Young Parent Support Worker - Support to Indigenous families, 21yrs and under during antenatal, birthing, postnatal and early parenting.
- School Based Youth Health Nurses - This program supports students and the high school community in promoting health and wellbeing in young people. The program provides health, support and individual consults.
- Social Work Services - Improves health and well-being of families by offering counselling, practical support, advocacy and referral for clients with identified health issues.
- Refugee Health - Assessment, referral and wellbeing support for newly arrived families.
Adult Community Health
Adult Community Health (ACH) provides timely and appropriate clinical services to members of our community to support members of our community return to independence and facilitate self-management of complex health needs. Our focus is providing wrap around services to the acute sector to reduce admissions, support timely discharge and developing effective links to primary health care providers to encourage our clients’ sustainable self-management in the community. ACH provides brief and targeted clinical interventions in a patient focused and led model of care.
- ACH services include:
- Care coordination for clients with chronic and complex conditions
- Rehabilitation and Allied Health services including Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Falls groups
- Post-Acute care
Services can be accessed via a referral from your doctor or health professional. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients are supported via dedicated Health Workers.
To contact Adult Community Health directly please call 4226 4550
Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) - Entry Level Care
Entry level home support with a focus on wellness and reablement that enables people to maintain their independence and continue living safely in the community and in their own homes for longer.
Queensland Health CHSP Services:
- Clinical Services:
- Nursing Care – ie care planning, health education and advice, simple wound care,
- Allied Health - Occupational Therapy – home modifications, Social Work, Speech Pathology, Idigenous Support Worker
- Specialised Continence Advisory Service
- Home Support:
- Personal Assistance – (e.g. showering, dressing)
- Domestic Assistance – cleaning
- Social Support – Accompanied & unaccompanied Shopping
- Other CHSP Services: (NON QLD Health)
- Meals on Wheels
- Respite Care (In home and day respite)
- Transport – Bus
- Home Maintenance – mowing, repairs
Register for an assessment to see if you are eligible for services by phoning My Aged Care on: 1800 200 422 or online www.myagedcare.gov.au. You will be contacted by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS) who will organise your assessment and discuss your individual needs.
If you are approved for services your RAS assessor will organise referrals to the appropriate service providers.
People may have to contribute a small cost to the service provider (outside of QLD Health CHSP Services).
Statewide and national health programs
- Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)
- Commonwealth Home support Program (CHSP)
- Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
- The Transition Care Program (TCP) - Enquires via ACAT
- The Community Health Interface Program (CHIP) is co-located within Cairns Hospital
- The Early Years Centre (this facility is located at Bentley Park)
- Mobile Women's Health Unit
- School Based Youth Health Nurses - provide adolescent health promotion services to local public secondary schools.
- Persistent Pain Management service - offers outreach services for rural facilities on a regular basis.
Visiting specialist services
- Memory clinic (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
- Midwifery outpatient services (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
- New Parents Drop-In clinics - Tuesdays only
- Orthodontist - limited service for referred, eligible clients
- Maxillofacial Surgeon - limited service for referred, eligible clients
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Safe kids program (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
Capital works or recent improvements
March 2012 saw the completion of the Cairns North Community Health Facility which is the main building located at the Cairns North Community Health campus.
Since completion of this building, many services and departments which were previously housed at various locations throughout Cairns, are now co-located in the one area. These additional services now join Oral Health, the Australian Red Cross Blood Donor Service, Sexual Health, Diabetes Centre, BEMS, ABM and the Home Dialysis Unit which moved to the site at earlier stages of the Cairns Hospital Redevelopment project.