Cairns North Community Health
Distance to main referring hospital(s)
Cairns Hospital 2.4 km
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service (ARCBS) - donor centre (external service provider)
Cardiac Rehabilitation - outpatient programs provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital
- Diabetes Services
- Healthy Lifestyles
- Home Dialysis Unit services
- Mobile Women's Health Unit
- Oral Health Services
- Sexual Health Service
Allied Health services
- Physiotherapy: Community Rehabilitation; Physiotherapy Rehabilitation; Falls Prevention and Chronic Disease Management
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- Speech Therapy
Child Health Services are provided at below locations –
please phone for times.
Cairns North Community Health Centre|
381 Sheridan Street, Cairns North
Phone: 4226 4315
Early Years Centre Cairns|
Borrowdale Close, Bentley Park College via
McLaughlin Road, Bentley Park
Phone: 07 40346800
Smithfield Community Health Centre|
16 Danbulan Street, Smithfield
Phone: 4226 4803
Edmonton Community Health Centre|
10 – 12 Robert Road, Bentley Park
Phone: 4226 4945
Early Years Centre Gordonvale|
33 Sheppards Street, Gordonvale 4865
Kuranda Community Health|
Kuranda Medical Centre, 33 Barrang Street Kuranda.
Phone: 4226 9170
- Child Health Support - Support in the areas of breast feeding, parenting, health, growth and development, sleep and settling, home visits, scheduled health checks and open consultations to discuss parenting experiences and your child’s health and development. Intensive home visiting for selected families.
- Childhood Immunisation Program - Targets children aged 0-5 years.
- School Immunisation Program - as per Statewide recommendations
- Positive Parenting Program - Triple P promotes a positive, caring relationship with your child, encouraging desirable behaviour and managing misbehaviour. For seminars and groups Ph: 4226 0047
- Circle of Security Groups - COS works with understanding and supporting your child’s development of emotions, confidence and self-esteem & connecting with your child and responding to their needs. For groups Ph: 4226 0047
- Early Intervention Parenting Services - Support to enhance the nurturing role of families with children aged 0-8 years, who are experiencing depression or anxiety in pregnancy and early parenthood, or attachment and child behaviour concerns.
- Speech Pathology - Support for children aged 0 – Prep.
- Children’s Continence Services - Support for children with continence issues.
- Hearing Screening for school aged children.
- Indigenous Health Workers. Provide culturally appropriate support to our indigenous families.
- Young Parent Support Worker - Support to Indigenous families, 21yrs and under during antenatal, birthing, postnatal and early parenting.
- School Based Youth Health Nurses - This program supports students and the high school community in promoting health and wellbeing in young people. The program provides health, support and individual consults.
- Social Work Services - Improves health and well-being of families by offering counselling, practical support, advocacy and referral for clients with identified health issues.
- Refugee Health - Assessment for newly arrived families.
Adult Community Health
Adult Community Health (ACH) provides timely and appropriate clinical services to members of our community to support members of our community return to independence and facilitate self-management of complex health needs. Our focus is providing wrap around services to the acute sector to reduce admissions, support timely discharge and developing effective links to primary health care providers to encourage our clients’ sustainable self-management in the community. ACH provides brief and targeted clinical interventions in a patient focused and led model of care.
- ACH services include:
- Care coordination for clients with chronic and complex conditions
- Rehabilitation and Allied Health services including Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Falls groups
- Post-Acute care
Services can be accessed via a referral from your doctor or health professional. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients are supported via dedicated Health Workers.
To contact Adult Community Health directly please call 4226 4550
Statewide and national health programs
- Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)
- Breastscreen - based at the Cairns North Community Health Centre, 381 Sheridan St, Cairns North and also provides a mobile service
- Home and Community Care (HACC) program
- Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
- The Transition Care Program (TCP) - Enquires via ACAT
- Breastscreen - based at the Cairns North Community Health Centre and also provides a mobile service
- The Community Health Interface Program (CHIP) is co-located within Cairns Hodspital
- Mobile Women's Health Unit The Transition Care Program (TCP) - Enquires via ACAT
Visiting specialist services
- Memory clinic (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
- Midwifery outpatient services (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
- Orthodontist - limited service for referred, eligible clients
- Maxillofacial Surgeon - limited service for referred, eligible clients
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Safe kids program (provided as an outreach service from Cairns Hospital)
Capital works or recent improvements
March 2012 saw the completion of the Cairns North Community Health Facility which is the main building located at the Cairns North Community Health campus.
Since completion of this building, many services and departments which were previously housed at various locations throughout Cairns, are now co-located in the one area. These additional services now join Oral Health, the Australian Red Cross Blood Donor Service, Sexual Health, Diabetes Centre, BEMS, ABM and the Home Dialysis Unit which moved to the site at earlier stages of the Cairns Hospital Redevelopment project.