Specialist Palliative Care Service
The Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service (SCHHS) Specialist Palliative Care Service is a multidisciplinary team providing specialist support for people and their families/carers who have a life limiting illness for which the primary treatment goal is quality of life. The service aims to provide evidence based co-ordinated care utilising impeccable and holistic assessment and planning.
The Specialist Palliative Care Service is comprised of a multidisciplinary team of specialist medical officers, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech pathologists, music therapists, dieticians, administrative officers, a psychologist and volunteers including pastoral care. The service is has two arms: the palliative care inpatient unit called 'Dove Palliative Care Unit' and the Consult Liaison Service.
The integrated service provides care in the inpatient, outpatient and community setting, inclusive of residential aged care facilities. Dove Palliative Care Unit is located on the campus of Caloundra hospital and the Consult Liaison Service is based at Nambour and reaches out to hospitals across the health service.
The service also coordinates palliative care packages of care in the community for patients and carers.
- Proven palliative diagnosis with a prognosis of less than 12 months
- Patients and carers with a life limiting illness for whom the primary goal is quality of life
- Patients requiring specialist palliative care management of complex needs from multidisciplinary team
- Dove admission criteria: Patients with a proven palliative diagnosis requiring management of complex needs for symptom management and end of life care. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation not available within the unit therefore evidence of advance care planning required. Community patients will be prioritised over patients already occupying an inpatient bed.
Palliative care community care packages available on needs based assessment with likely less than 3 month prognosis
A written referral is required for all patients referred to the Service with a recent medical summary
For direct admission to Dove referrer must contact on-call consultant and Nurse Unit Manager
Sunshine Coast Council, Noosa Shire Council & Gympie Regional Council area
Inpatient beds: Dove at Caloundra Hospital; Nambour General Hospital
No age restriction
How to Submit a Referral
If the referral is Urgent contact the Consult Liaison Service to discuss (5470 5333)
- A written referral is required for all referrals accompanied by a recent medical summary
For direct admission to Dove referrer must contact on-call consultant and Nurse Unit Manager at Dove
- Can be sent via secure electronic transfer to Specialist Outpatients, fax, email