Child, Youth and Family Health service
About the service
The Child, Youth and Family Health service (CY&FH) is a free Queensland Health service that provides highly trained health professionals offering current information and relevant support to families. The child, youth and family health program team consists of:
- Child health nurses
- School based youth health nurses
- Early intervention parenting clinicians
- Occupational therapist
- Speech pathologists
- Physiotherapist - child healthy lifestyle team
- Dietitian - child healthy lifestyle team
- Administration support
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander team.
How to access services provided by Child, Youth and Family Health service
Parents are able to self refer. However, if attending a GP it is recommended that the referral template (links on right hand side) be completed by the GP and emailed to the address listed below.
GP’s can also contact the Child Health Access Officer who will triage your query and refer to the appropriate service.
|Child Health Access Officer||childhealthaccess|
|(07) 5319 4824||(07) 5370 4903|
Child, Youth and Family Health service offer the following services:
Child Health Access is a free telephone service that provides parents with advice, booking of appointments and for referrals into the Child and Family Health Service. It operates Monday to Friday 8.30am – 4.00pm (except public holidays). Clinicians can also call for enquiries about referrals or about the Child, Youth and Family Health Service.
The drop-in service is a free service that supports mums/carers, dads and their newborn babies during the early postnatal period. No appointments are required for drop in clinic.
The clinic allows you to access:
- drop in clinics (up to 6 weeks of age)
- neonatal screening tests
- information and advice
- newborn baby assessment
- breastfeeding support
- opportunities to meet other parents
- links to child health programs.
Breastfeeding support is available by our highly skilled child health nurses and lactation consultants. Any urgent breastfeeding issues please call Child Health Access. We have support available during our drop in service and child health clinics.
- offered to parents/ caregivers on appointment basis.
Series of six informal and informative sessions covering:
- adjustment to parenthood
- sleep strategies
- introduction to solids
- growth and development
- opportunity to network with other parents/caregivers.
- Growth and development assessment
- Sleep strategies
- nutrition and starting solids
Counselling and parenting support for parents of children up to 9 years of age to develop positive parenting skills that strengthen family relationships.
Assessment and management for feeding and communication difficulties for children 0 to prep.
Assessment and management of children for:
- chronic constipation/soiling/toilet refusal (Pondering Poos program (PDF 318 kB))
- bed wetting / day wetting (Wondering Wees program (PDF 322 kB))
A variety of parenting programs that include Triple P and Circle of Security.
- Targeted home visiting program offered to families who are currently experiencing Domestic Violence, self identify to be experiencing financial stress, have a EPDS of 12 or above.
- providing assistance to families during first year of infant’s life
- coordinated by a team of health professionals with extensive training in working with families and newborns.
- Offers group and individual support for families of overweight children (2-12 years).
- Assisting families to make lifestyle modifications by increasing activity, making healthy food choices, increasing child self esteem and positive parenting.
Nurses are based in public high schools providing support and education on health matters for young people.
Hearing screening tests provided for children over 4 years of age.
Home Visiting Service 0-4 yrs
- Baby checks-weight, feeding concerns, growth and development
- Hearing Assessment
- Home visiting vaccination program 0-15yrs
Home visiting program offered to families experiencing specific challenges and demands for the first 2 years of life.