Nambour General Hospital redevelopment
Nambour General Hospital (NGH) is part of a network of facilities within Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service (SCHHS). Other facilities include the Sunshine Coast University Hospital (SCUH), Caloundra Health Service, Gympie Hospital and Maleny Soldiers and Memorial Hospital.
NGH has a proud history of providing services to the Sunshine Coast community since the 1920s and until recently, was the primary referral centre and largest hospital in the region.
The Sunshine Coast is one of the fastest growing regions in Queensland and is expected to grow by 35 per cent from 2015 to 2031. Currently NGH continues to play an essential part of our health service, and the community by:
- providing a substantial proportion of the Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service’s sub-acute services
- providing a large volume of low-acuity surgery
- continuing to be the primary source of emergency care for residents of Nambour and surrounds.
Nambour General Hospital is undergoing an $86 million redevelopment to better service the growing health needs of the Sunshine Coast community. The redevelopment will expand NGH’s capacity and upgrade some existing clinical areas to support the needs of a growing population. After the redevelopment, the community will benefit from:
- Redevelopment and increased capacity of emergency care for the residents of Nambour and surrounding areas
- Refurbishment and increased capacity of mental health beds to support the requirements of the community
- Refurbishment of wards to increase capacity for surgical and medical patients
- Establishment of a same day rehabilitation unit
- Relocation of renal dialysis unit to a new purpose-built space
- Relocation and refurbishment of same day medical infusions and chemotherapy;
- Replacement of the central sterilising unit
- Providing convenient access for patients from a new drop off zone located adjacent to emergency department
- Refurbishment of kitchen
- Providing a contemporary safe healthcare environment that meets patient, staff and community expectations
The NGH Redevelopment Project puts patient and staff safety first, through the design of facilities and services, construction and implementation, and everyday ongoing operations. The Health Service has established a Consumer Advisory Group that will provide feedback to the NGH Redevelopment Project on areas including cultural needs, accessibility and community focus. Consultation with community groups will underpin the success of the project enabling facilities that are clinically and client focused.
The hospital will remain operational and patient services will still be provided but may move to temporary locations. The hospital will continue to support the needs of the community and patients will be notified in advance of any changes. We want to make sure there is minimal disruption to patient care throughout the redevelopment project, so it will be completed in multiple stages over four years.
Quarterly community forums will be held throughout the duration of the project to outline the redevelopment and what this means for the Nambour and surrounding community. If you are interested in attending any future forums, you can contact the Project Team by email PDU-FRP-NGH@health.qld.gov.au
Please feel free to contact the project team on PDU-FRP-NGH@health.qld.gov.au with any questions.