Graduate Registered Nurse & Registered Midwife Program
Program for 2022
Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Services (TCHHS) offers a supportive and comprehensive Graduate Registered Nurse and Graduate Midwifery 12 month program which provides the unique opportunity for first year practitioners to work in remote indigenous communities, in both acute care and primary health care facilities
Graduates are placed in these selected facilities in the Torres Strait Islands and Cape York region:
- Cooktown Multipurpose Health Service
- Thursday Island Community Wellness Centre
- Thursday Island Hospital
- Weipa Integrated Health Service
Aim and objective
The aim is to provide new graduates with additional support and education to assist with their transition from university to the rural and remote nursing environment.
The program assists to increase graduates knowledge and skills in clinical practice in rural and remote setting, with an overall objective to develop nurses who are confident and competent in their role.
Our graduate programs focus upon building on the basis of knowledge and skills learnt during undergraduate training. We acknowledge that the transition from student to practitioner requires support and guidance.
TCHHS helps graduates through:
- Initial supernumerary period
- Practice support through preceptors
- Access to on-site Nurse Educator
- Monthly graduate network meetings with other graduates
- Comprehensive orientation
- Study days
- Access to transition to practice nurse education program
- Professional development opportunities
Remote Area Incentive Program (RANIP)
Graduates have access to RANIP which includes:
- accommodation (single-person only, no pets allowed)
- professional development funding
- annual isolation monetary bonus
Selection is based on Merit, subject to the following requirements:
- Have applied through Graduate Nurse Online Recruitment (GNOR) and meet the requirements of the program (some exceptions accepted);
- Be eligible for registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Applicants must have received satisfactory clinical placement reports
- Applicants will be expected to complete a clinical knowledge and behavioural questionnaire as well as an interview with the TCHHS.
Refer to Nursing and midwifery graduate campaigns website for more details.
TCHHS reserve the right to accept applications outside of the graduate campaign.