Patient rights and support
The following consumer resources are available to help patients, their families, carers and other support persons understand the provisions for consumers under the Mental Health Act 2016.
This information is also available in other languages.
The Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch (Department of Health) would like to credit the West Moreton Hospital and Health Service with the development and design of the patient rights videos and their statewide consultation throughout the production process.
The Statement of Rights contains important information about patient rights under the Mental Health Act 2016.
Video: Statement Of Rights
- Video: Summary - Understanding Your Rights
- Video: Understanding your rights (introduction)
- Video: Patient Rights under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: Responsibilities and rights
- Guide: Guide to patient rights
- Fact Sheet: Patient rights
- Brochure: Your rights
- Poster: Your rights poster 1
- Poster: Your rights poster 2
- Poster: Your rights poster 3
- Poster: Your rights poster 4
Independent Patient Rights Advisors
- Video: How Can I Contact The Independent Patient Rights Advisor?
- Fact Sheet: Role of independent patient rights adviser
- Guidelines: Independent patient rights advisers service model guidelines
- Policy: Independent patient rights advisers
- Attachment 1: Independent patient rights advisers policy - Role description (Word, 1MB)
- Attachment 2: Independent patient rights advisers policy - Allocation (PDF, 410kB)
- Video: The rights of patient’s family members, carers and nominated support people
- Fact Sheet: Rights of family, carers and other support persons
- Brochure: Support persons
Nominated Support Persons
- Fact Sheet: Role of nominated support persons
- Guide and Form: Nominated support persons
This form can be completed online, saved and/or printed. Only the form will print when printing is selected.
- Form: Revocation or resignation of appointment of nominated support person
This form can be completed online, saved and/or printed.
- Video: Patient rights as an inpatient in a hospital under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: What Are My Rights To An Interpreter And Cultural Support?
- Policy: Treatment and care of patients
- Video: Patient right to an Independent Second Opinion
- Policy: Right of a patient to request a second opinion
- Policy: Management of complaints about treatment and care of patients
- Video: Prohibited Items In Hospital
- Fact Sheet: Searches
- Video: What to do if your mental or physical health is getting worse
- Guidelines: Information sharing
- Fact Sheet: What you need to discuss with patients
- Fact Sheet: Written notices and documents for patients
- Video: Patient rights to information under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: What Are My Rights To A Lawyer?
- Video: Rights at the Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT)
- FAQs: Legal Representation at Tribunal Hearings
Advance care planning
A suite of documents is available on the 'Treatment and care' page in relation to less restrictive way of treatment, including information and resources for advance care planning such as Advance Health Directives and Substitute Decision Making.