State smoking laws apply at some places owned or operated by local governments including:
- public transport waiting points
- outdoor pedestrian malls
- skate parks
- public swimming pools
- children's playground equipment
- organised under-18 sporting events
- patrolled beaches
- outdoor swimming areas
- buffer areas around education facilities
- buffer areas around public and private hospitals and residential aged care facilities
Local government can ban smoking at outdoor public places not already covered by state-wide smoking bans.
Local government guide for creating smoke-free places
Creating smoke-free places: A guide for Queensland local governments was developed in response to feedback from Queensland local governments requesting practical information, strategies for success, case studies and examples to assist with managing and creating smoke-free public places.
Benefits for local communities of local government investment in smoke-free places include:
- improving the health and wellbeing of community members
- keeping communities clean and safe
- responding to community desire and expectation for protection from second-hand smoke.
Encouraging compliance with smoking bans presents an opportunity for local councils to provide leadership in creating smoke-free places, and to enjoy the benefits of healthier and happier communities.
The Creating smoke-free places: A guide for Queensland local governments provides information and guidance on:
- making local laws banning smoking at specific outdoor public places not already covered by state-wide smoking bans
- authorising and training council officers to monitor and encourage compliance with smoking bans
- identifying smoking hotspots in the community with suggestions for taking action to reduce smoking at these places
- providing education to non-compliant smokers about smoking bans
- encouraging community members to value smoke-free places
- taking a coordinated approach across council departments.
- Creating smoke-free places: A guide for Queensland local governments (PDF 2792 kB)
- No-smoking signage for local government form (PDF 87 kB)
- To order smoke-free area signage, contact 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act 1998
- Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Regulation 2021 (PDF, 390KB)