Cultivation, manufacture, and wholesaling in Queensland
The cultivation, manufacture and wholesaling of medicinal cannabis products is tightly regulated by a combination of Commonwealth and Queensland Government schemes.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) specifies that products supplied in Australia have to meet both the:
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Good Agricultural and Collection Practice (GACP) (PDF 592KB)
- Therapeutic Goods Order No. 93 (Standard for Medicinal Cannabis) (TGO 93).
These requirements will deliver consistent, contaminant-free and high-grade medicinal cannabis products, which is essential to ensure medical practitioners make reliable and safe prescribing and dosage decisions.
The Commonwealth Government has responsibility for the cultivation and importation of medicinal cannabis products and all licences and permits will be provided by the Office of Drug Control. Domestic cultivation is subject to strict security requirements, because of the high risk of raw cannabis plants being used for unlawful purposes.
The Queensland Government regulates the cultivation of industrial hemp products. Queensland Health is working with the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries to investigate how Queensland industries can participate in the new Commonwealth licencing scheme.
Manufacturing and wholesale
In Queensland, medicinal cannabis manufacturing and wholesaling is regulated through the Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis) Regulation 2017, which is primarily concerned with the:
- suitability of the people supervising the manufacturing or wholesaling
- premises where the medicinal cannabis product is stored.
Therefore it is usually one of the last approval processes required before manufacturing or wholesaling commences.
How to apply
You will need to submit an application form to manufacture and wholesale medicinal cannabis in Queensland.
- Complete the approval for manufacturing or wholesale of medicinal cannabis (PDF 278 kB)
- Read the qualifications to manufacture medicinal cannabis (PDF 79 kB) if you are requesting a licence to manufacture