General Practice information
Overview and objectives
This research study aims to describe the health outcomes of people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Queensland, over time and in relation to patient characteristics, by combining COVID-19 notification, hospital, general practice and death data.
General practice patient health information, in comparison to hospital data, contains additional, more detailed and up-to-date information on patient characteristics, including health conditions and medications at the time of infection.
We will be contacting patients who have had COVID-19 and inviting them to participate by giving their individual consent.
For those patients that have consented, our ATHENA COVID-19 Coordination Centre will then be contacting you to ask if you would export a copy of your patient’s health information to Queensland Health in a simple but secure series of pre-defined steps.
- At the study outset, GPs will receive notification of the project using standard information networks such as newsletters produced by Primary Health Networks and RACGP.
- Nominated general practices with identified COVID-19 positive patients will be sent an information pack containing an outline of the study, letters of support from the Queensland Health Chief Health Officer, all 7 Queensland Primary Health Networks and the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).
- Project team members from the ATHENA COVID-19 Coordination Centre will contact individual nominated general practices to explain the details of the study.
- Project members will inform the practice that they have a specific patient(s) who has tested positive for COVID-19, and that the project team has contacted their patient and has obtained consent for release of their GP data.
- For consented only patients, the general practice will be sent a General Practice Data Release request from Queensland Health via a secure messaging platform asking them to export a copy of the patient health information to Queensland Health in a simple but secure series of pre-defined steps.
- For further information please contact the ATHENA COVID-19 coordination centre on: 07 4243 4813 email: ATHENACV19@health.qld.gov.au
Why Support the Queensland Health ATHENA COVID-19 Study?
- The study will answer vital questions about which medical conditions, medicines and other health characteristics determine whether patients develop mild, moderate, and severe COVID-19 in our population.
- General practice records hold key information to better understand how COVID-19 impacts our population but we need the help of GP clinics to send us the patient file.
- It only takes moments to upload to our secure portal.
- The study has the support of RACGP, the Queensland Health Chief Health Officer and all 7 Queensland Primary Health Networks and each patient who has consented to participate.
- The study has ethics approval, and is compliant with privacy legislation.(Avaliable on request).