Skip links and keyboard navigation

Commercial baiting operators

The new Medicines and Poisons Act 2019 (MPA), which commenced on 27 September 2021, has introduced new provisions for persons who intend to provide baiting services to landholders or other entities on a fee-for-service basis.

General approval or licence requirements

A general approval is required to buy, possess, apply and dispose, of baits containing restricted S7 (RS7) poisons. RS7 poisons for invasive animal control include para-aminopropiophenone (PAPP), strychnine and fluoroacetic acid (1080). A list of RS7 poisons can be found in Schedule 1 of the Medicines and Poisons (Poisons and Prohibited Substances) Regulation 2021.

Persons seeking to provide baiting services (CBOs) on a ‘fee-for-service’ basis will be required to apply for either a general approval and/or a licence depending on the scope of activities involving RS7 poisons. Authorities may be granted to entities or individuals.

Baits with a concentration of less than or equal to 0.05% fluoroacetic acid are called low risk fluoroacetic acid baits (LRFABs). All users of APVMA-registered baits are required to hold a general approval including for LRFABs. Users must comply with the Departmental Standard - Dealings with restricted S7 poisons for invasive animal control (PDF 441 kB).

Depending on the nature of baiting services provided, CBOs may require:

  • A manufacturing licence to manufacture fresh meat baits using RS7 concentrates (strychnine, PAPP or fluoroacetic acid). This licence will also authorise supply of baits manufactured using RS7 poisons to landholders or entities who hold a general approval.
  • A retail licence to sell S7 poisons if the CBO buys APVMA registered baits and sells baits to landholders or entities.
  • A general approval to buy, possess, apply and dispose, of baits, if they provide bait laying services only and do not provide baits to the user at a different time.

Apply for a licence

You can apply for a licence and general approvals using Poisons general approval application form and fees.

Requirements for CBOs

Employee competency

CBOs must ensure that each of their employees dealing with RS7 poisons holds the competencies prescribed in the Departmental Standard - Competency requirements for authority holders dealing with poisons (PDF 278 kB).

Substance management plans (SMPs) and risk assessment

CBOs may be required to have a Substance Management Plan (SMP) if it is a condition of their licence or general approval. An SMP is a document that identifies and addresses the risks associated with the regulated activities and must demonstrate how those risks will be controlled.

The SMP must comply with the Departmental Standard - Substance management plans for regulated poisons. You can find more information and guidance on what to include in an SMP in the Departmental Standard and Do I need a Substance Management Plan.

Compliance with the requirements prescribed in the Departmental Standard - Dealing with restricted S7 poisons for invasive animal control (PDF 441 kB) must be demonstrated under the SMP, i.e. record keeping and storage.

CBOs supplying strychnine, PAPP or fluoroacetic acid baits will be required to undertake a risk assessment and to keep records of supply of baits. Find out more about Risk assessment – commercial baiting (PDF 228 kB).

Related information

Departmental standards

Last updated: 24 September 2021