Patient rights and support
The following resources are available to help you (or someone supporting you) about your rights under the Mental Health Act 2016. Alternatively, you can contact an independent patient rights adviser.
This information is also available in other languages.
The Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch (Department of Health) would like to credit the West Moreton Hospital and Health Service with the development and design of the patient rights videos and their statewide consultation throughout the production process.
The Statement of Rights contains important information about patient rights under the Mental Health Act 2016.
Video: Statement Of Rights
- Video: Summary - Understanding Your Rights
- Video: Understanding your rights (introduction)
- Video: Patient Rights under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: Responsibilities and rights
- Guide: Guide to patient rights
- Fact Sheet: Patient rights
- Brochure: Your rights
- Poster: Your rights poster 1
- Poster: Your rights poster 2
- Poster: Your rights poster 3
- Poster: Your rights poster 4
Independent Patient Rights Advisors
- Video: How Can I Contact The Independent Patient Rights Advisor?
- Fact Sheet: Role of independent patient rights adviser
- Guidelines: Independent patient rights advisers service model guidelines
- Policy: Independent patient rights advisers
- Video: The rights of patient’s family members, carers and nominated support people
- Fact Sheet: Rights of family, carers and other support persons
- Brochure: Support persons
Nominated Support Persons
- Fact Sheet: Role of nominated support persons
- Guide and Form: Nominated support persons
This form can be completed online, saved and/or printed. Only the form will print when printing is selected.
- Form: Revocation or resignation of appointment of nominated support person
This form can be completed online, saved and/or printed.
- Video: Patient rights as an inpatient in a hospital under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: What Are My Rights To An Interpreter And Cultural Support?
- Policy: Treatment and care of patients
- Policy: Treatment and care of minors
- Video: Patient right to an Independent Second Opinion
- Policy: Management of complaints and right to a second opinion
- Flowchart: Process for obtaining a second opinion
- Video: Prohibited Items In Hospital
- Fact Sheet: Searches
- Video: What to do if your mental or physical health is getting worse
- Guidelines: Information sharing
- Fact Sheet: What you need to discuss with patients
- Fact Sheet: Written notices and documents for patients
- Video: Patient rights to information under the Mental Health Act 2016
- Video: What Are My Rights To A Lawyer?
- Video: Rights at the Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT)
- FAQs: Legal Representation at Tribunal Hearings
Mental Health Court: Tips for attending a hearing
Advance care planning
A suite of documents is available on the 'Treatment and care' page in relation a less restrictive way to treat a person, advance health directives and substitute decision makers.