Ebola virus disease (EVD)
Clinicians should be alert to the possibility of Ebola virus disease in unwell travellers returning from affected areas of Africa. Read the fact sheet about symptoms, treatment and diagnosis.
Information about the current status of the disease internationally is available from the World Health Organization
The Australian Department of Health has published Infection prevention and control principals and recommendation for Ebola virus disease. This document provides information on infection prevention and control principles and recommendations for Ebola virus disease: including information about personal protective equipment for clinical care of patients with suspected or confirmed Ebola virus disease in Australia.
CDNA National Guidelines for Public Health Units focus on managing the spread of Ebola virus disease and Marburg haemorrhagic fever. EVD is a Listed Human Disease under the Biosecurity Act 2015 and the National Health Security Act 2007. and includes information on immediate actions to be taken in the event of a suspected case; details about the disease such as incubation, transmission, period of communicability; surveillance; management of suspected cases; management of potentially exposed healthcare workers; cleaning and outbreak management.
The Queensland Ebola virus disease management plan (PDF 687kB) is the overarching document for managing this disease in Queensland and is supported by a suite of guidelines and forms listed below.
Clinical guidelines and resources
These resources include guidelines, forms and resources for clinical staff and healthcare professionals including but not limited to Hospital and Health Services, Pathology Queensland, private hospitals, general practices and private pathology services.
- Infection control guidelines for the management of Ebola virus disease in Queensland (PDF 281kB)
- Interim guidelines for Ebola virus disease environmental cleaning in a community setting (PDF 127kB)
- Interim guidelines for Ebola virus disease voluntary home restriction (PDF 206kB)
- Interim guidelines for Healthcare workers deployed to Ebola virus disease affected countries (PDF 90kB)
- Interim guidelines for managing Ebola virus disease patients in Queensland (PDF 758kB)
- Interim personal protective equipment guidelines for managing Ebola virus disease patients (PDF 225kB)
- Interim personal protective equipment guidelines for Retrieval Services Queensland staff managing patients with Ebola virus disease (PDF 136kB)
Additional guidelines, training and resources are available for Queensland Health staff on QHEPS (link accessible only on Queensland Health network):
- Video on the recommended procedures and use of PPE (gown option) when treating suspected and confirmed EVD cases in Queensland.
- Interim guidelines for healthcare workers caring for Ebola virus disease patients in Queensland.
- Interim guidelines for deployable Ebola virus disease treatment teams.
- Process for accessing Ebola virus disease PPE stockpile.
- Factsheet for healthcare workers caring for EVD patients in Queensland.
- Process for cleaning powered air purifying respirators.
- EVD assessment form (long) (PDF 337kB)
- EVD assessment form (short) (PDF 86kB)
- Ebola case report form (PDF 265kB)
Contact Public health units.