Information for Queensland clinicians—novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
This page will host the latest available information to assist Queensland clinicians to diagnose and/or treat patients with suspected or confirmed novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Advice on this page will be updated as the situation evolves and new or changed information comes to hand.
You should continue to return to this website for the latest information rather than printing/storing local copies of fact or
Note: This information is intended for clinicians only.
Information for consumers, including current advice on the number of confirmed cases in Queensland, can be found on the novel coronavirus fact sheet.
- 18 February 2020: The Australian Health Sector Emergency Response Plan For Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) guides the Australian health sector response.
- 17 February 2020: Version 1.8 of the CDNA National Guidelines for Public Health Units revised to include statement reflecting that passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise meet the criteria for close contact.
- 17 February 2020: The Australian Government has released the information sheet Interim recommendations for the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) during hospital care of people with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- 16 February 2020: Infection prevention and control guidelines for the management of COVID-19 in healthcare settings—interim version (PDF 498 kB)
- 12 February 2020: Dr Jeannette Young, Chief Health Officer Queensland Health and Dr Dilip Dhupelia, President AMA Queensland, provide an update on the current situation including answers to GPs’ most pressing questions in this joint video.
Guide to ordering novel coronavirus pathology diagnostic test
- Orders: Novel Coronavirus Pathology Diagnostic Test
Pathology Queensland (PQ) commenced in-house PCR testing for 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCOV) at 2.30pm on 6 February 2020. This information sheet details new procedures for Queensland Health clinicians including ieMR users.
Information and fact sheets for clinicians
- Infection prevention and control guidelines for the management of COVID-19 in healthcare settings—interim version (PDF 498 kB)
These guidelines aim to prevent transmission of COVID-19 infection in healthcare settings through the implementation of appropriate infection prevention and control measures. Note: This is an interim guideline and is subject to change.
- 2019-nCoV GP management flow chart (PDF 899 kB)
This flow chart is designed to assist Queensland GPs with the assessment and management of patients presenting to GP practices with suspected novel coronavirus.
- Novel Coronavirus 2019 (2019-nCoV) CDNA National Guidelines for Public Health Units
This document summarises interim recommendations for surveillance, infection control, laboratory testing and contact management for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Novel Coronavirus Information Sheet for Emergency Departments
This Australian Government Department of Health information sheet includes advice on symptom identification and exposure history, personal protection/equipment for clinicians and advice for GPs.
- Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) information sheet for primary and community health workers
This Australian Government Department of Health information sheet includes advice on symptom identification and exposure history, personal protection/equipment for clinicians and actions for patients who meet criteria.
- Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) information for health care and residential care workers
This Australian Government Department of Health information sheet provides general information for health care and residential care workers.
- Novel coronavirus topic in Queensland Health's Clinical Knowledge Network (CKN)
DynaMed, the Clinical Knowledge Network's (CKN) primary point of care tool, has created a new topic for novel coronavirus.
- PHLN guidance on laboratory testing for 2019-nCoV
This Public Health Laboratory Network information sheet provides guidance on laboratory testing for 2019-nCoV.
- Communicable disease control guidance – 2019-nCoV
This page provides information on 2019-nCoV including a case report form and public health management guidelines.
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare (2019)
National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines provide information about standard and additional precautions, including recommended cleaning and duration of precautions (Table A2.3).