National digital health initiatives
Queensland Health actively participates in national digital health initiatives and leverages national infrastructure where possible. The Connecting to the My Health Record system fact sheet (PDF, 565KB) shows how Queensland Health uses national components, systems and standards to enable more integrated information sharing within Queensland and nationally. The National digital health patient journey fact sheet (PDF, 178KB) provides an example of how digital systems will assist a patient to seamlessly flow through the health system.
Australia's national digital health strategy
Australia’s National Digital Health Strategy – Safe, seamless and secure: evolving health and care to meet the needs of modern Australia –was released on 4 August 2017.
The Strategy was developed in close partnership with all governments of Australia, patients, carers and clinicians, together with industry and science leaders, and outlines seven strategic priority outcomes for digital health over the next five years (2018–2022). The Strategy can be found on the Australian Digital Health Agency website.
Australia's digital health infrastructure
National digital infrastructure underpinning a number of Queensland Health's digital health initiatives include:
- National healthcare identifiers—to reliably and consistently identify healthcare providers, healthcare organisations and individuals receiving healthcare
- National authentication services for health—to authenticate users, including organisations and people, through the use of digital certificates to safely share and manage access to information in the healthcare system
- Clinical terminologies—to accurately describe the care and treatment of patients (including complex concepts such as diseases, operations, treatments and medicines) to enable the safe and unambiguous exchange of clinical information between healthcare providers
- National health services directory—a directory to enable health professionals and consumers to access reliable and consistent information about health services. See Find a health service to use the directory.
- National product catalogue—a single mechanism to communicate standardised and accurate product and price data electronically
- Standards and specifications—agreed national standards and specifications for consistent communication of clinical information across care settings—for example, implementation and use of the electronic discharge summary specification.
National eHealth records
The Australian Government manages personal eHealth records through the My Health Record system. The My Health Record website provides information about the records and how to register to access the system for both patients and healthcare providers. The national My Health Record helpline is also available on 1800 723 471.
Queensland Health has state-wide systems that use the My Health Record to increase the ability for information to be shared with healthcare providers and patients. Refer to Queensland Health's My Health Record for further information.