Alcohol and other drugs services in Queensland
Alcohol and other drugs (AOD) services provide people with a range of interventions that influence and support the decision to reduce or cease harmful substance use.
Referrals to alcohol and other drugs services come can come from the individual experiencing the problem, family and friends, community services, Hospital and Health Services, GPs, Police, Courts and Corrective Services.
Adis 24/7 Alcohol and Drug Support
Adis 24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service offers confidential and anonymous telephone counselling and information for individuals, parents, and concerned others.
Adis can undertake telephone assessments, provide information about the effects of specific drugs and provide advice on various treatment options. They can also help clients contact the best service for their needs.
Adis also manages two specialist services:
- Clean Needle Helpline: information about safe disposal of injecting equipment and location of needle and syringe programs.
- Community Services Information Line: contact details and advice about specific services to meet your needs.
Adis is available 24 hours, 7 days a week by calling 1800 177 833 (freecall).
The Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch (MHAODB) leads policy for alcohol and other drugs treatment in the Queensland Department of Health (DoH). MHAODB works with other state and federal government agencies as well as public and non-government organisations, to provide programs and services for people affected by alcohol and other drugs use.
Services funded by DoH include:
- residential treatment services including withdrawal management and support, and rehabilitation
- outclient treatment services
- specialist alcohol and other drug services including opioid treatment and police and court diversion programs.
In addition, the MHAODB works closely with other Queensland Health stakeholders to ensure a coherent and collaborative approach is taken when addressing statewide alcohol and other drugs issues.
The Queensland Network of Alcohol and other Drug Agencies (QNADA) is the peak organisation for the non-government alcohol and other drug sector.