Hospitals, healthcare and residential aged care facilities
Smoking is banned at all Queensland public and private hospitals and health facilities, and for 5 metres beyond their boundaries.
From 1 September 2016, smoking is banned at public and private residential aged care facilities and for 5 metres beyond their boundaries. However, a residential aged care facility may designate part of their outdoor area as a ‘nominated smoking place’ where smoking may occur.
These no-smoking laws apply at all times, and to all staff and patient areas on healthcare or residential aged care facility land, and include the use of all smoking products, including electronic cigarettes.
The laws cover:
- land on which any Queensland Health Hospital and Health Service provides health services, including hospitals, community health centres, health clinics, rehabilitation centres and residential aged care facilities
- land on which a private health facility (private hospitals and day hospitals) provides services
- land on which a facility used to provide aged care is situated.
It does not include retirement villages and other areas where elderly persons live independently or aged care provided to people in their homes.
Five metre buffer zone
The buffer is a 5 metre no-smoking area beyond the boundary of the healthcare or residential aged care facility. This area does not extend into residential or business premises that share a boundary with healthcare or residential aged care facility land.
The laws are enforced by Queensland Health environmental health officers and Health Service authorised personnel.
On-the-spot fines apply for breaches of the tobacco laws.
- Download and print signs, factsheets and resources about the changes to the tobacco law to use at your hospital or health care facility.
- Download and print signs and factsheets about the changes to the tobacco law to use at your residential aged care facility.
- To order smoke-free area signage, contact 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act 1998
- Tobacco and Other Smoking Products (Smoke-free Places) Amendment Bill 2015