National Redress Scheme – For people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse
The National Redress Scheme has been created in response to recommendations by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- acknowledges that many children were sexually abused in Australian institutions
- recognises the suffering they endured because of this abuse
- holds institutions accountable for this abuse, and
- helps people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse gain access to counselling and psychological services, a direct personal response, and a redress-payment.
The Queensland Government passed legislation in September to formally opt in to participation in the National Redress Scheme.
Queensland Health is committed to supporting people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
The National Redress Scheme will provide redress to people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse and will run for 10 years. There are rules about who can apply.
Queensland’s participation in the National Scheme will mean that people who have experienced child sexual abuse while in the care of the Queensland Government may be eligible for redress.
Find out more about the scheme or phone the National Redress Scheme on 1800 737 377 (Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm).
Redress support services
There are a range of services available to support people throughout the redress application process. Visit the National Redress Scheme website to find out more about these support services.
There is support available for people who have experienced child sexual abuse in institutional settings including:
- Lotus Place: A dedicated support service and resource centre for Forgotten Australians – phone (07) 3347 8500.
- CLAN: A national support and advocacy service for Forgotten Australians – phone 1800 008 774.
- knowmore: For people considering their options, free legal advice and information about the justice or redress pathways available to survivors of institutional child sexual abuse – phone 1800 605 762.
- If immediate assistance is required, 24 hour assistance is available through:
Support for children in care
CREATE Foundation is the national consumer body representing the voices of children and young people with an out-of-home care experience. Phone 1800 655 105.