Skip links and keyboard navigation

Compliments and complaints about Department of Health services

How to make a complaintThe Department of Health is committed to listening and responding to customer feedback and giving proper consideration to human rights when handling complaints. Feedback creates a valuable opportunity for us to identify what good service looks like and where we can improve. We are dedicated to working collaboratively to deliver quality services that are safe and responsive.

Share a compliment

If you are happy with the service you received or someone has impressed you, please share this with the staff member or their manager. Alternatively, email the Department Liaison Office at

Make a complaint

Sometimes you may feel the services you receive from the Department of Health are not at the standard you expected. Any customer of the department’s services has the right to make a complaint.  We take all complaints and feedback seriously so please let us know so we can improve the way we do things.

In some circumstances, a relative, carer or friend may raise concerns or make a complaint on your behalf. A consumer group or advocate can also complain on your behalf.

How to make a complaint

Go local first: contact the departmental business area, facility or service in question. Talking to the staff member, manager, or an executive of the area is often the easiest and quickest way to resolve your complaint.

You can also email the Department Liaison Office who will direct your complaint to the appropriate area, view additional contact details, or complete an online feedback/enquiry form.

Act quickly: talk to someone as soon as possible. The longer you wait the less clear the facts become, which can make it harder to find a solution.

When lodging your complaint

The Department of Health encourages you to play an active part in resolving your complaint by:

  • outlining your complaint as clearly and accurately as possible
  • providing any supporting documentation that may help the department resolve your complaint
  • treating staff with courtesy and respect.

What happens when you lodge your complaint

Your complaint will be referred to an employee who manages complaints on behalf of the department. They will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and may contact you during the process to discuss your complaint or request further information. Once the department has considered your complaint you will be notified of the outcome, including reasons for the department’s decisions.

What happens if you're not satisfied with the outcome

If you lodge a complaint with the department and feel it was not resolved to your satisfaction, you may request a review by the manager of the relevant business area. If you are still not satisfied, you may wish to contact the Queensland Ombudsman or the Office of the Health Ombudsman, depending on the nature of your complaint. These organisations provide external review and investigation of complaints, where appropriate.

Human rights complaints

The Human Rights Act 2019 protects and promotes fundamental human rights. You can make a complaint to the department if you believe that an act or decision was made that is not compatible with human rights or when making a decision, there was a failure to consider human rights relevant to the decision. You can make a human rights complaint using the same method as a standard complaint.

Once 45 business days have elapsed from the date of complaint and if the department has not responded to your complaint, or you are not satisfied with the response, you may refer your human rights complaint to the Queensland Human Rights Commission.

Complaints about Department of Health staff regarding alleged corrupt conduct

If you have a complaint about a Department of Health employee (including the Queensland Ambulance Service), which may involve possible corrupt conduct, contact the department’s Ethical Standards Unit by emailing

Public interest disclosures

A public interest disclosure is the reporting of certain types of wrongdoing in the public interest. If you wish to make a public interest disclosure that relates to the Department of Health, you may refer to the department's policy (PDF, 280KB) and contact the department's Ethical standards unit by email

Complaints about a Hospital and Health Service

If you have a complaint about a service or treatment provided by a Hospital and Health Service (HHS) please contact the relevant Hospital and Health Service directly.

Further information

Last updated: 5 April 2023