Pest management technicians

Pest management technicians (PMTs) hold a licence under the Pest Management Act 2001 (Pest Management Act). Those intending to continue to hold a licence will do so under the Medicines and Poisons Act 2019 (MPA) which replaced the PMA on 27 September 2021. Persons seeking to apply for a new PMT licence can do so under the MPA.

Current licence holders

Persons who currently hold a PMT licence will continue to be authorised for their existing endorsements, until it expires or is:

  • surrendered
  • cancelled
  • amended.

New pest management technician licences

Persons seeking to apply pesticides or fumigants on a commercial fee for service basis will be required to hold a PMT licence under the MPA.

The MPA also applies to pest management activities carried out by PMTs in primary production.

As before, a PMT licence may be issued with endorsements relating to urban pest and timber pest control and/or fumigation.

Additional pest management endorsements will be available for:

  • control of pest birds
  • carrying out pest management activities in sensitive places (e.g. aged care or childcare premises)
  • carrying out pest management activities in high-risk places (e.g. food manufacturing premises, intensive livestock farming).

Apply for a licence

To apply for a pest management licence, use Pest management application forms and fees.

Business owners

The obligations of business owners that employ PMTs have been clarified under the MPA. The business owners must provide equipment, including vehicles, tools and personal protective equipment, that are appropriate for the tasks to ensure that the pest management activity can be undertaken safely and effectively. This includes training and record keeping requirements.

Advice notices

Pre and post pest control advice notices to the occupant of the premises can now be delivered electronically. Post treatment advice can be based on pesticides used indoors or outdoors rather than each room unless different pesticides were used for a particular room or area.

Other requirements

Labelling, record-keeping, storage of pesticides and container requirements also remain unchanged and are set out in the Medicines and Poisons (Pest Management Activities) Regulation 2021 (Pest Management Regulation). Persons undertaking pest management activities, including business owners, will continue to comply with these requirements.

Schedule 7 (S7) pesticides and fumigants

PMTs seeking to sell or supply S7 pesticides or S7 fumigants, will require an S7 retail licence under the MPA.

Activity Risk Management Plans (ARMP)

An Activity Risk Management Plan (ARMP) will now be required prior to carrying out pest control activities in high-risk or sensitive places or conducting fumigation activities at any location. Templates are available to support the preparation of ARMPs:

Persons applying for endorsements for preparing ARMPs or supervising work at high-risk and sensitive places may need to demonstrate appropriate experience in such activities through certification from their employer.

Competency requirements and trainees

Competency requirements for pest control and fumigation activities are set up under the Departmental standard – Competency requirements for licensed technicians undertaking pest management activities with pesticides and fumigants (PDF 272 kB).

The Standard also prescribes competency requirements for new pest management activities such as pest bird control and persons planning and supervising PMTs working in high-risk and sensitive places.

Trainees may continue to work under the supervision of a licensed PMT. The business owner is responsible for ensuring the trainee is appropriately supervised.

Transition of pest management activity authorisations

This table summarises how the authorisations for pest management activities will transition to the new MPA.


Pest management activity

Type of Authority


under HDPR

under MPA

Pest management technicians

Commercial pest control activities

Pest control licence with endorsements, if any, for

  • Timber pest

Pest control licence (Urban pests) with endorsements, if any, for

  • Timber pests
  • Pest bird (new)

Authorises treatment of urban pests in all situations and includes sensitive and high-risk places (see Pest management – supervisors’ category), in accordance with the Activity Risk Management Plan (ARMP) for the place and optionally for timber pests and/or pest birds

Pest management technicians working in primary production

Commercial pest control activities in primary production


Pest control licence (Urban pests)


  • the treatment of urban pests and spraying of crops for insects; and
  • the treatment of urban pests in high-risk places, for example intensive livestock facilities, in accordance with the ARMP for the place

Pest management technician – supervisor

Planning and/or supervising pest control activities in high-risk or sensitive places

Pest control licence with endorsements, if any, for

  • Timber pest

Pest control licence with endorsements for:

  • High-risk places (new)


  • Sensitive places (new)

New endorsements on application.

  • Only persons endorsed for pest control in high-risk or sensitive places can prepare and implement an ARMP for the place
  • High-risk places include food processing, intensive livestock farming or food manufacturing facilities, e.g. piggeries, chicken farms, abattoirs, livestock housing
  • Sensitive places include childcare centres, aged care, schools, hospitals, etc.
  • Competency and / or experience requirements may apply

Pest management technicians


Fumigation licence with site environments specified

Fumigation licence with site environment specified

Persons licensed for fumigation must prepare and implement an ARMP for the place

Pest management technicians

Sale or supply of S7 pesticides and fumigants

Licence to sell S7 poisons other than for human therapeutic use

S7 retail licence

  • Sale or supply only to authorised occupational users
  • No sale or supply to domestic users or persons working in activities and services for excluded places, for example childcare services


  • Under MPA: must use APVMA registered or permitted pesticide and comply with the competency requirements under the Departmental Standard.
  • Urban pest: pests that are commonly found in places where people live and work, including for example, ants, cockroaches, mice, rats and spiders.
  • Commercial pest: applies only to pest animals not pest plants. Use of herbicides is not regulated under the MPA.

Related information

Departmental standards

Last updated: 24 September 2021