Order, store and manage vaccines
Registered vaccine service providers can order vaccines associated with the National Immunisation Program by:
- contacting the Queensland Health Immunisation Program (QHIP)
- completing the vaccine request form (PDF, 63 KB).
Vaccines are delicate biological substances and must be stored between +2 degrees Celsius and +8 degrees Celsius. Vaccines exposed to temperatures outside this range may have to be considered ineffective and discarded. It is vital that vaccines are stored appropriately in order to:
- ensure patients receive an effective vaccine
- ensure efficient management of resources (vaccines are an expensive resource that can be in limited supply)
avoid patients needing revaccination after having been given an ineffective vaccine.
Transfer or discard a vaccine
If you need to transfer or discard a vaccine after consulting with QHIP, please complete the vaccine discard/transfer form (PDF, 47 KB).
To ensure safe management and storage of vaccines, all vaccine service providers should be familiar with the following guidelines:
- National Vaccine Storage Guidelines ‘Strive for 5’ provide advice and resources for vaccine storage management to ensure vaccines are effective and that cold chain is maintained.