Training for clinicians - Sexual health
In December 2015, the Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) was awarded a contract to support health professionals in Queensland by delivering quality HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health education sessions and workforce development programs.
ASHM continues to work in close collaboration with sector partners throughout Queensland in order to deliver these programs.
For all course and training opportunities being delivered in Queensland, refer to the training calendar which is regularly updated and available at:
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander workers
The No Shame: Yarn About It Training Video tells the story of Liz and Dan, sexual health workers in the ‘Harmony Bay’ clinic in Queensland and how they support the sexual health of their clients Tracey and Marcus. The video includes interviews with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sexual health workers.
This video helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sexual health workers to:
- support young people to feel safe about coming to their clinic
- break the ice and get clients yarning about sexual health
- balance the worker’s own values and beliefs with the responsibility to be professional
- know the important things to tell clients about STI testing.
Viewers of this movie are respectfully warned some of the people whose images appear in the video may have passed away.
This resource was produced by Family Planning Queensland 2012, with funding from Queensland Health.
Video run time: 33 mins. Read the video transcript (PDF, 95KB)
- Police and blood-borne viruses, Australasian Society for HIV Medicine
- Antenatal testing and blood-borne viruses, Australasian Society for HIV Medicine
- True relationships & reproductive health regularly delivers training for people working with those who have disabilities or special needs.
- Ethnic Communities Council of Queensland (ECCQ) runs a range of courses for professionals working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- STI e-learning: a resource for health professionals – a free online learning program funded by the Department of Health Western Australia, delivered by Edith Cowan University in Western Australia.
- Hepatitis Education Project– a free online learning program funded by the Department of Health Western Australia, delivered by Edith Cowan University in Western Australia