Faeces sample collection
Your doctor has requested that you have a test on a faeces sample.
Collecting your sample
You would have been provided with a plastic specimen container and plastic biohazard bag to collect and transport the faeces. The specimen container has a brown lid with a built-in scoop to help you collect the sample.
If you cannot deliver the specimen to the collection centre within 2 hours of collection, keep it in a cool place unless otherwise directed.
If you need to urinate, do this before you collect the faeces sample.
- Label the container with your full name and date of birth.
- Place something in the toilet bowl to catch the faeces, such as a clean takeaway food container, then pass the faeces—avoid contaminating the sample with urine.
- Transfer some of the faeces you have collected into the collection container using the lid's built-in scoop and screw the lid shut. Aim to fill the container to about one third.
- Write the date and time of collection onto the specimen container.
- Empty the remainder of the faeces into the toilet bowl and discard. Place anything used to collect the faeces into a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it in the bin.
- Place the sample and request form into the biohazard bag and deliver it to the laboratory or collection centre.
Contact your preferred collection centre or your referring doctor if you have any questions about collecting a faeces sample.
Need more information?
Stool culture at Lab Tests online.
QIS document number: 29690