Learn more about intellectual property
Resources to help researchers understand and manage intellectual property.
Queensland Government policies and web pages
- Queensland Public Sector Intellectual Property Principles – high-level policy guidance for the management of intellectual property by Queensland Government agencies.
- For Government – Intellectual Property – information about the management of intellectual property created by or for the Queensland Government (Crown Intellectual Property).
- Australian Copyright Council – accessible and affordable legal advice and education on copyright law for Australian content creators and consumers.
- Creative Commons Australia – free licences and tools that copyright owners can use to allow others to share, reuse and remix their material, legally.
- Creative Commons and Research in Australia – information about how creative commons licences are used in the research context.
- Creative Commons and Government in Australia – information about applying a creative commons licence to government material.
Patents, design rights, trade marks and plant breeders rights
- IP Australia - the Australian Government agency that administers IP rights and legislation.
Search IP databases to check whether your research is novel, and what rights other parties hold that may impact the protection and use of your invention, design or trade mark.
- IP Australia – How to search existing patents – information on searching Australian and international patent databases and how to engage an expert.
- The Lens – search, analyse and manage patent and scholarly data.
- TM Checker – trade mark search tool from IP Australia.
- Australian Trade Mark Online Search System – find trade marks and their owners.
- Australian Designs Data Search – find designs using product names, owners or numbers.
Research collaboration and commercialisation
- Researcher and Business Collaboration (IP Australia) – information about IP collaborations, protection, commercialisation and contract negotiation.
- Researcher and Business Commercialisation (Business Queensland) – information for developing an idea through research to the marketplace.
- Research partnerships and networking Opportunities (Business Queensland) –strengthen research through collaborations with Australian and international research institutions, universities, government agencies and industry groups.
- Government support for scientific research and new technologies – funding assistance, financial incentives and policies available from Queensland and Australian Governments.
- Intellectual property info kit – information about Australia's IP system and explains how to identify, protect and commercialise your business's IP.
Commonwealth legislation applicable to intellectual property in Australia