Chief Health Officer public health directions
During a public health emergency, the Chief Health Officer can issue Public Health Directions to assist in containing, or to respond to, the spread of COVID-19 within the community.
On 18 May 2020, Queensland’s declared public health emergency for COVID-19 was extended for a further 90 days, to 11:59pm on Monday 17 August 2020.
The Public Health (Further Extension of Declared Public Health Emergency–COVID-19) Regulation (No. 3) 2020 was made by Queensland’s Governor in Council, and extends all active Public Health Directions issued by the state’s Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeannette Young.
This means active Public Health Directions with an end date of 19 May 2020 have been automatically extended until 11:59pm on Monday 17 August 2020. Directions will be progressively updated to reference the new date of 17 August 2020.
Visit the Queensland legislation website to view the regulation and explanatory notes.
Understanding the Directions
These resources will help you better understand the Directions and how they affect you and your community.
You can only enter Queensland if you are a Queensland resident, cross-border resident or you are an ‘exempt person’.
Going out, travel, recreation and gathering in Queensland
From 12pm on 1 June 2020, Queenslanders can travel anywhere in Queensland for any reason, except to Biosecurity Areas or Restricted Areas.
- Aged Care Direction (No. 9) – updated 11 August 2020
- Border restrictions Direction (No. 11) – updated 08 August 2020
- Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction (No. 5) – updated 24 July 2020
- Hospital Visitors Direction (No. 5) – updated 10 July 2020
- Self-quarantine for Persons Arriving in Queensland From Overseas Direction (No. 5) – updated 08 July 2020
Revoked public health directions
Public health directions are amended periodically.
An archive of revoked directions are kept as a record or these amendments.
Requests for Exemptions
If you are seeking any of the following:
- apply for an exemption from a Public Health Direction
- get help understanding a Direction.