Chief Health Officer public health directions
During a public health emergency, the Chief Health Officer can issue Public Health Directions to assist in containing, or to respond to, the spread of COVID-19 within the community.
On 17 December 2020, Queensland’s declared public health emergency for COVID-19 was extended to 11:59pm on Wednesday 31 March 2021.
The Public Health (Further Extension of Declared Public Health Emergency–COVID-19) Regulation (No. 6) 2020 was made by Queensland’s Governor in Council, and extends all active Public Health Directions issued by the state’s Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeannette Young.
This means active Public Health Directions with an end date of 31 December 2020 have been automatically extended until 11:59pm on Wednesday 31 March 2021. Directions will be progressively updated to reference the new date of 31 March 2021.
Visit the Queensland legislation website to view the regulation and explanatory notes.
Understanding the Directions
These resources will help you better understand the Directions and how they affect you and your community.
Restrictions on Impacted Areas
To protect the health of Queenslanders, from 6pm AEST 11 January 2021 to 1am 22 January 2021, the Greater Brisbane region will be subject to new restrictions.
Mandatory Face Masks
To protect the health of Queenslanders, from 12am AEST 12 January 2021 wearing of a face mask will be mandatory in particular settings anywhere in Queensland.
- Quarantine and COVID-19 Testing for International Air Crew Direction (No. 4) – updated 18 January 2021
- Mandatory Face Masks Direction – updated 12 January 2021
- COVID-19 Testing for Quarantine Facility Workers Direction (No. 3) – updated 11 January 2021
- Restrictions for Impacted Areas Direction No. 2 – updated 11 January 2021
- Queensland COVID-19 Restricted Areas (No. 8) – updated 08 January 2021
Revoked public health directions
Public health directions are amended periodically.
An archive of revoked directions are kept as a record or these amendments.
Requests for Exemptions
If you are seeking any of the following:
- apply for an exemption from a Public Health Direction
- get help understanding a Direction.