Chief Health Officer public health directions
During a public health emergency, the Chief Health Officer can issue Public Health Directions to assist in containing, or to respond to, the spread of COVID-19 within the community.
On 17 August 2020, Queensland’s declared public health emergency for COVID-19 was extended to 11:59pm on Friday 2 October 2020.
The Public Health (Further Extension of Declared Public Health Emergency–COVID-19) Regulation (No. 4) 2020 was made by Queensland’s Governor in Council, and extends all active Public Health Directions issued by the state’s Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeannette Young.
This means active Public Health Directions with an end date of 17 August 2020 have been automatically extended until 11:59pm on Friday 2 October 2020. Directions will be progressively updated to reference the new date of 2 October 2020.
Visit the Queensland legislation website to view the regulation and explanatory notes.
Understanding the Directions
These resources will help you better understand the Directions and how they affect you and your community.
You can only enter Queensland if you are a Queensland resident, cross-border resident or you are an ‘exempt person’.
Going out, travel, recreation and gathering in Queensland
From 12pm on 1 June 2020, Queenslanders can travel anywhere in Queensland for any reason, except to Biosecurity Areas or Restricted Areas.
- Border restrictions Direction (No. 14) – updated 23 September 2020
- Aged Care Direction (No. 10) – updated 11 September 2020
- Movement and Gathering Direction (No. 4) – updated 02 September 2020
- Disability Accommodation Services Direction (No.3) – updated 31 August 2020
- Hospital Visitors Direction (No. 6) – updated 22 August 2020
Revoked public health directions
Public health directions are amended periodically.
An archive of revoked directions are kept as a record or these amendments.
Requests for Exemptions
If you are seeking any of the following:
- apply for an exemption from a Public Health Direction
- get help understanding a Direction.