Industrial radiography Approval to Acquire
The acquisition of radiation sources is regulated under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 to minimise the risks associated with radiation. This includes industrial radiography equipment and substances.
To purchase or otherwise obtain a radiation source for your industrial radiography business you will need an Approval to Acquire and a licence to possess the radiation source. This process helps to ensure that the necessary safety and risk measures are in place and that the radiation sources meet generally acceptable safety requirements.
Industrial radiography sources include:
- laser and ionising radiation equipment
- sealed radioactive substances.
Know which form you need?
This page contains the following Industrial radiography Approval to Acquire application forms:
Who needs this approval?
Every time you seek to purchase or otherwise obtain a new industrial radiography source for your business you will need to hold an Approval to Acquire the radiation source before you can take overall ownership and control. Your Possession Licence will detail the type of radiation source you are allowed to possess and what type of radiation practice it can be used for.
Radiation sources are commonly acquired for industrial radiography purposes, which include:
- industrial radiography
- measurement of density of timber structures
- pipeline radiography
- tracking and control of pipeline crawler X-ray equipment
- inspection of objects
- inspection of pipes or vessels.
Acquire an industrial radiography source
To purchase or otherwise obtain a particular radiation source you will need to complete the associated form.
Apply for an Approval to Acquire:
Your application needs to include:
- your Possession Licence number and expiry date
- details of the radiation source and supplier (including radionuclide, chemical form and activity for radioactive substances)
- details of how any radioactive substance will eventually be disposed of (where applicable)
- a copy of the sealed radioactive substance certificate from the manufacturer (where applicable).
Time limited approval is granted to allow the change of ownership and transfer of control of the radiation source to occur. Approval durations generally last 1 month to allow the physical transfer to occur.
You will need to pay an application fee.
See Schedule of fees to determine the fee you will need to pay. Your form will only be considered a complete application once the appropriate fee has been paid.
Apply for an Approval to Acquire industrial radiography apparatus
Use this form each time you seek to purchase or otherwise obtain a laser or ionising radiation apparatus.
Industrial radiography equipment includes:
- industrial radiography X-ray equipment
- pipeline crawler X-ray equipment
- linear accelerators.
Apply for an Approval to Acquire a sealed radioactive substance
Use this form each time you seek to purchase or otherwise obtain a sealed radioactive substance.