The Allied Health Professions’ Office of Queensland supports a number of initiatives designed to support mental health, allied health professionals.
Mental Health Scope of Practice
The Statewide Mental Health Allied Health Scope of Practice Project was undertaken to identify the current scope of practice of allied health working in Adult Community Health Services and identify opportunities to expand scope of practice to improve client outcomes.
- The State-wide Mental Health Allied Health Scope of Practice Project Report (PDF 553 kB) provides details on the findings and recommendations from the project.
- The Allied Health Mental Health Scope of Practice Workshop Summary Report (PDF 1566 kB) identifies key changes and provides strategies to address allied health scope of practice issues identified in the project report.
Strategies to address allied health scope of practice
- The Statewide Allied Health Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Advisory Group provides strategic direction and advice on workforce development and service issues that build the capability of the allied health mental health workforce and support the delivery of safe and sustainable allied health services in mental health.
- The key priorities and activities for the State-wide Allied Health Mental Health Advisory Group are detailed in the Allied Health Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drug Advisory Group Strategies (2020-2021) (PDF 137 kB)
Referring for a community support activity: A model of care and toolkit that enhances collaborative partnerships and mental health clinical full scope of practice
The Referring for a Community Support Activity in Mental Health (RCSAiMH) Project was established to improve referral processes for psychosocial support between Queensland Health and respective Community Managed Organisation partner organisations. A key component of the project was the adaption and inclusion of delegation training resources and the Allied Health Assistant framework into a toolkit for services to formalise referral processes and to support the redistribution of work between mental health staff and psychosocial support workers.
- The Final evaluation report (PDF 1123 kB) provides details on the findings from the report
- Project key findings (PDF 21 kB) and recommendations (PDF 25 kB)
- Mental Health Videoconference series RCSAiMH presentation (PDF 1251 kB) and video recording
The RCSAiMH toolkit consists of the following components to inform and embed referral practices and documentation.
- Guideline and Implementation Resources (PDF 1965 kB)
- Companion orientation manual of community treatment and community support tools (PDF 2832 kB)
- Self-guided learning package: PowerPoint presentation (PPTX 6125 kB) | workbook (DOCX 138 kB)
If you require word versions of the RCSAiMH Toolkit, please contact AHPOQ at Allied_Health_Advisory@health.qld.gov.au.