Partnering with the woman who declines recommended maternity care
Queensland Health is currently trialling the following draft Guideline and associated resources for Partnering with the woman who declines recommended maternity care in seven hospitals (Royal Brisbane and Women’s, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Emerald, Thursday Island and Mt Isa) until September 2019.
Information for women (consumers)
- Recommended maternity care – it’s your decision
- Recommended maternity care – what happens after you decline
- Trial clinical form information: Discussion and Care Plan: Declining Recommended Maternity Care
- Please note: If you are receiving your maternity care at a service that is not one of the trial sites listed above, you still have the right to decline recommended maternity care and continue to receive care at a Queensland public hospital. Doctors, midwives and executives in maternity services outside of the trial sites have not received information or education on this trial and the associated resources. That is, not all maternity services will be familiar with the trial and will, therefore, not be using the clinical forms, guideline and consumer information. Following the trial, it is anticipated the updated guideline and associated resources will be available for use across Queensland public maternity services.
Clinical forms for women and clinicians
- Discussion and Care Plan: Declining Recommended Maternity Care (print version)
- Discussion and Care Plan: Declining Recommended Maternity Care (interactive desktop version – not interactive on mobile devices)
- Declining Recommended Maternity Care (Additional Page) (print version)
- Declining Recommended Maternity Care (Additional Page) (interactive version)
- Information for the woman: Trial clinical form: Discussion and Care Plan: Declining Recommended Maternity Care
Guideline for women and clinicians
- Partnering with the woman who declines recommended maternity care
- Partnering with the woman who declines recommended maternity care in an emergent situation or in labour and is declining care that has not previously been discussed
We are seeking feedback from consumers (including women, support people and consumer organisations) and clinicians who have accessed and/or used the resources. Your feedback will be appreciated. Feedback can be provided through the survey links or via email as below. Please read the Feedback and associated survey information below before giving feedback and/or commencing the survey. Feedback closes on Friday 30 September 2019.
To provide general feedback (e.g. on access, usefulness, impact of using the resources including communication and support), please click on the links below:
Feedback on individual resources
Resources are available at the above mentioned hospitals and free text feedback (including, but not limited to, general comments, formatting, grammar and information) can be provided by clicking here.
Feedback and associated survey information
The overall purpose of the feedback and associated surveys is to seek feedback and determine the overall usefulness of resources to women, clinicians and health services; and to identify any barriers to and facilitators of statewide implementation. The surveys collect feedback from people who have accessed or used the resources.
If you decide to provide feedback and/or take part in the surveys, you will help Queensland Health to improve the resources available for partnering with the woman who decline recommended maternity care and help Queensland maternity services plan for their implementation.
The surveys will take approximately 5 to 25 minutes to complete. If you decide to complete a survey, all questions are optional. You may answer as many or as few questions as you would like. Where questions ask for your personal information, this is to enable Queensland Health to seek further input from you if needed. In all reports, research, and publications from this trial of the resources, only de-identified information will be used, and all survey responses will be kept confidential. Direct quotations from your responses may be used in reports but identifying features will be omitted or changed and pseudonyms used to protect your identity.
You are free to decide whether to provide feedback and/or participate in these surveys or not. Providing feedback and/or proceeding to the surveys and completing as many of the questions as you wish, will be taken as your informed consent to participate in these evaluations. If you decide not to participate, no information will be collected and we thank you for your consideration.
If you have any questions about this trial or would prefer to submit feedback via email, please email: PSQIS_Maternity@health.qld.gov.au