Radiation Use Licence
The use of radiation sources to carry out a radiation practice is regulated under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 to minimise the risks associated with radiation
We do not currently have standard routines for issuing licences for your industry.
Depending on your circumstances your licence and approval requirements may vary. Contact Radiation Health using the 'pre-application' enquiry option to get guidance on requirements for your situation or proposal.
Know which form you need?
This page contains the following Radiation Use Licence application form:
If you are unsure which form you need to complete, including the required supporting documentation, please read on.
Who needs this licence?
You will need this radiation Use Licence (PDF 964 kB) if you seek to use a radiation source to carry out a radiation practice.
Responsibilities of a Use Licensee
As part of your responsibilities as a Use Licensee you will need to:
- only use a radiation source for the practice described in your Use Licence
- only use a radiation source if the Possession Licensee has specified that you may
- comply with the Possession Licensee’s approved Radiation Safety and Protection Plan for the radiation practice and your individual responsibilities detailed in it
- comply with the Possession Licensee's approved Security Plan (where applicable).
You are required to comply with Radiation Safety Act 1999.
Apply for a Use Licence
You can apply for a standard Use Licence (PDF 964 kB) or a licence to use security enhanced sources:
Required documents for application:
- 2 proof of identity documents
- a certified copy of your qualifications
- evidence of your competency and experience using the radiation source.
Required training and competency
You will need to demonstrate that you have undergone both theoretical and practical training using the radiation source safely and effectively for the type of radiation procedure.
Evidence of these competencies will depend on your individual education and experience but is commonly achieved via:
- educational institutions with suitable training programs—offering theoretical and practical hands-on competencies as a part of the course
- practical hands-on experience under a licensed supervisor—who provides a statement certifying that you have completed sufficient practical training and are competent to perform the radiation procedure.
A Use Licence can be for 1, 2 or 3 years.
Renewal applications can be made 60 days before your licence expires. You will be sent a reminder and a renewal application form before your licence expires.
You will need to pay a licence fee. If you do not hold a current licence you will also need to pay an application fee.
See schedule of fees to determine the fee you will need to pay. Your form will only be considered a complete application once payment has been made.
Licence to use a radiation source
Use this form if you seek to use a radiation source to carry out a radiation practice.
Licence to use a security enhanced source
Use this form if you seek to use a security enhanced source to carry out a radiation practice.
These radiation sources pose a significant risk and have additional security requirements that need to be met before your application can be assessed. You need this security clearance before your licence can be granted.
Licence application process for security enhanced sources:
- Submit your application.
- A security and criminal history check is conducted.
- Your application is assessed (if your security clearance is granted).
- You are granted a licence (if your application is successful).