Vaccine preventable disease surveillance
Queensland Health has established surveillance systems for the following vaccine preventable diseases:
- Group A streptococcal infection (invasive)*
- Haemophilus influenzae type B (invasive)
- Meningococcal disease (invasive)
- Pneumococcal disease (invasive)
Queensland Health also has a surveillance reporting resource for influenza.
Data on cases is reported to the Notifiable Conditions System by onset date of disease and published weekly in the Notifiable conditions report.
Surveillance case definitions for each disease are available in the relevant Queensland Health guidelines.
Read more about Queensland's immunisation program.
(*Group A streptococcal infections are not vaccine preventable but are included on this page for reporting of invasive diseases.)
Quarterly report on vaccine preventable and invasive diseases
A quarterly report is prepared on vaccine preventable and invasive diseases notified in Queensland. This report contains additional data to that provided in the weekly reporting including trends, age groups, serotype and serogroup data where relevant.
- 2022 - report for quarter 2 (PDF 2799 kB)
- 2021- report for all 4 quarters (PDF 854 kB)
- 2020 - report for quarter 2 (PDF 903 kB)
- 2019 - report for all 4 quarters (PDF 776 kB)
- 2018 - report for all 4 quarters (PDF 984 kB)
- 2017 - report for all 4 quarters (PDF 655 kB)
- 2016 - report for all 4 quarters (PDF 272 kB)
National data and reports
Data on vaccine preventable diseases is collected and reported nationally.
National immunisation program (NIP)
Queensland participates in the National Immunisation Program (NIP) which funds the purchase of vaccines to protect Australians from vaccine preventable diseases. The program currently includes vaccines for 16 diseases and these are administered through state based immunisation programs.
The release of notifiable conditions data by Queensland Health is governed by processes which protects the privacy and confidentiality of individuals.
Access to and use of notifiable conditions data requires an assessment before approval to release.
The guidelines and request form (PDF 237 kB) provides details about the application process.